Top 10 Posters

Double Batting to Emphasize a Pattern

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 60
Sandy46 posted on Thu, May 29 2014 6:47 PM

Hello, Everyone:  I'm new to quilting...less than a year.  I'm making a quilt for my four year old niece that has a heart in the middle of the quilt.  I want to emphasize the heart by double batting just the piecing in the heart.  I've thought of ways to do it, but because I'm such a novice, i thought I'd ask some experts.   This is why I joined your group today.  How would you double the batting just for the heart portion of this quilt?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
823 Posts
Points 13,500

Sandy on Quilting Arts today I say Pokey's guest used Lofty Batty for the raised section.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
823 Posts
Points 13,500

Lofty Batting.  Not Batty.  Sorry,

• | Post Points: 0
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Thu, May 29 2014 9:50 PM

hi sandy, welcome to the group. I put an extra piece or two of batting under the spot I want t raise.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
180 Posts
Points 2,310
MizPat replied on Sat, May 31 2014 5:13 PM

Hi Sandy46, I have done this by using water-soluble(?) thread to baste the second llayer of batting in place. after the second batting is trimmed around the stitching, finish the quilt as usual. After you've finished all the quilting, which shoulld be in  position to hold the second batting in place, spray the quilt with a mist of water in the area of the w/s thread. If you don't want to spray it, you can take a Q-tip or a small paint brush and wet the w/s that way.

Hope this helps

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 60

Lofty batting...I don't think I've ever seen this in the stores.  I'll have to look for it.  Thanks.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 60

This is what I was thinking, but I didn't know if I should stitch it in place before adding the second layer or use spray adhesive to keep it in place.  If I stitched it, I was afraid of the bulk around the edges when I cut the batting.  I guess spray adhesive would do a better job.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 60

OK, I think I've finally figured out how to reply to people's posts...LOL!  MizPat, I have also never heard of water soluble thread.  I have so much to learn from you ladies.  Thanks for all your help.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,965

A technique called Trapunto is how I would and have done this, It's very simple technique. Google Trapunto, there are several videos showing and explaining this, utube too.  I have also doubled lofty batting, but Trapunto seems easier for the look you want.  Good luck, hope you show us when your done!

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 60

Yes, Trapunto is the look I'm after.  I didn't know the name of what I'm looking for.  I will search YouTube for it.  Thank you all for your help!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,562 Posts
Points 246,197
Thea replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 9:21 AM

Sandy - not reading yet what everyone else has written... and some will probaby say the same thing I am going to - this is called Trapunto!  To do it you do put a piece of extra batting under your design.  sew it with water soluble thread and then but it to size... this will keep it in place when you put the quilt together if sewn with the water soluble thread.  It will also make your heart pop if when you are quilting it - you echo quilt around it.  Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,562 Posts
Points 246,197
Thea replied on Mon, Jun 2 2014 9:22 AM

was a duplicate post - see Candis and I think alike!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use