Finishing squares borders

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025
Belinda posted on Thu, May 29 2014 9:22 AM

I am wondering if it is ok to to sew all my finished squares together without dashing and then make a small border around 4 sides before sew outer borders . Has anybody ever done this or seen it done ? Is it a silly creative idea ??

B. Roberts

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
298 Posts
Points 4,875

Belinda, If I understand what you're saying, you do not want to use sashing between the blocks. You do want to put a narrow border around the perimeter of the blocks you've sewn together to form the top. Then you plan to add additional borders. If that is indeed what you mean, it is common to do so. The narrow inner border defines the pieced top, and gives the eye a place to "stop" when viewing the quilt. You pretty much can do whatever you wish in quilting... make it your way! Creativity is what it's all about! Have fun, and would like to see what you decide to do when you've finished!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
944 Posts
Points 17,510

Belinda, I think it would be a cute & creative idea!   I've used orphan blocks as corners and then added the 4 sides & the quilt turned out cute.   There are no quilt police so you can do whatever you like with your quilt. 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

Thanks . Good advice creativity . Can you post a photo of the orphan squares quilt you made ?

B. Roberts

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

Thanks , you understand perfectly . I do not want to do  sashing this quilt . I think I will try the creativity and I have some embroidered linen strips from Mom I may use in outer borders too .

B. Roberts

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
941 Posts
Points 15,975

We want to see pic's when your done.

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

Yes, I will be sharing pics . It is a memory quilt made from my mom's embroidery and Hankies .I am really proud of it .Thanx.

B. Roberts

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use