Top 10 Posters

Gifted blocks

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara posted on Tue, May 27 2014 12:03 AM

I was given a bunch of material and in the stash are 50 blocks made up of HTSs. All the fabric is random and I would love to piece them together for a scrap quilt. The question is that they all seem to be about the same size but some are slightly smaller, any tips for making them more even without ruining the squares? Here is a pic of some of the squares on my planning board in my newly cleaned up craft room. There are 28 blocks out of the 50 on my planning board. I just put them up quickly and very randomly. Also any suggestions on block placement? Thanks for the input and help. 

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,412 Posts
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Tue, May 27 2014 2:11 AM

I would trim them all to same size and then just randomly put them together. When trimming make sure you put the diagonal line on your ruler to go from corner to corner lining up with the diagonal seam line and you should be trimming evenly.  The only thing I'd watch for is try not to put too much of the same color together. From what I can see on your board looks great. That's what scrappy is all about.

Top 75 Contributor
1,527 Posts
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Tue, May 27 2014 4:53 AM

I think what you are doing is great.  I agree with Linda, make them all the same size first.  They will fit together beautifully and can easily be sewn together.  What a nice gift.

Diana in East Tn.

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Answered (Not Verified) Sara replied on Tue, May 27 2014 8:19 AM
Suggested by Thea

Thank you Linda and Diana for your suggestions. I really appreciate the tip about lining up the diagonal on the ruler. The fabric is older looking, I am guessing maybe the 80s and many of the designs and combinations aren't ones I would have put together personally. However I love the look of them all together. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,907 Posts
Points 33,200
Roxana replied on Tue, May 27 2014 8:45 AM

Sara, I agree with Linda and Diana on the size. What a wonderful gift! You'll have so much fun rearranging them on the design wall.

Click here for free printable quilt instructions on creating quick triangle squares. See if this helps. It's about "Trimming Oversize Triangle-Squares".

We want to see the finished project!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,616 Posts
Points 247,307
Thea replied on Tue, May 27 2014 9:03 AM

Sara - what a find  - I love what you are doing with them just randomy put together.  I would measure them all and see what the measurement of the smallest is - if it is just 1/8" smaller then the rest tehn I would just sew them together as is... sewing them so you keep the points - you can fudge with the 1/4" seam as long as you have at least an 1/8 of an inch in the seam you should be okay.  I would try very hard though to keep the points -  and a 1/4" outside the point to keep that point intact.  

Take another picture but take one in black and white and that will help you with the value - you can see where you need to move so that you don't have a lot of dark together as well as a lot of light.

I you want to enlarge the quilt from the throw size it looks like you could sew them in rows and put sashing in between... and then match the sashing up with a border fabric that brings the whole quilt together.  

I look forward to seeing your final result.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,339 Posts
Points 30,460
Agnes replied on Tue, May 27 2014 9:12 AM

If you say slightly smaller is it eighth of an inch or less? If so, do not trim off the little excess but use the fudge factor when sewing them together. This will require pinning. Start by laying the smaller on top of the larger, insert pins so the corners match and at least one more pin, in the center of the edge where the two points meet. While sewing you will stretch the top to fit from pin to pin. Pin and sew in the same manner when you sew the rows together. I have sewn on group projects where no two 10" blocks were precisely the same size. As we were adding sashing I cut all the sashing pieces to the same length and used the fudge method. All the other gals sewed the blocks to long lengths of sashing and then cut. I put up with their comments about how what I was doing was too time consuming. The tune changed when they added my rows and with the fitting done as I went along there was less cramming and fitting on the final stage of my pieces.

Something else that might help with the fitting to size is to make sure that the seams butt together and bit right there.

If you trim them down to size you could well be cutting off points. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,339 Posts
Points 30,460
Agnes replied on Tue, May 27 2014 9:14 AM

Thea--You were typing at the same time as I was. I needed have posted my answer as you are on the same page as I am.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,616 Posts
Points 247,307
Thea replied on Tue, May 27 2014 9:44 AM

Agnes - great minds think alike - :)

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Tue, May 27 2014 11:12 AM

Thank you Agnes and Thea! I love the idea about taking a black and white picture to get an idea about the color values and placement! Cutting off points is a big concern for me or cutting too small so I lose the points. That is what I meant when I said that I didn't want to potentially ruin the blocks! You ladies are awesome!! Depending on the size once I lay out all the blocks I might consider adding sashing in between the blocks, although I really like the randomness of the colors and patterns of fabric together.

If I don't add any sashing and keep the blocks together what would be a good border style for this type of quilt? What would you all do?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,616 Posts
Points 247,307
Thea replied on Tue, May 27 2014 12:18 PM

I would use a 3 piece border - a small strip cutting off the design - then the next strip should be twice that size and finally a large outer border.  I would pick fabrics that come close to matching whichever fabric within the quilt that you want to highlight for the large outer border - the inner border should be  dark piece to stop your eyes  - a resting place...

You could use just 2 pieces but I kind of like the 3 piece border... '

I usually use 1 1/2" strips, 3" strips and 6" strips...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,412 Posts
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Wed, May 28 2014 6:48 PM

I agree with Thea on the borders. For that outer border, this is a little touchy here, perhaps you might find a print fabric that blends well with all the colors or some of the prominent colors in the quilt. Now that is a tough one, but I have done it. I've even done a pieced or applique pattern on the corners (or just 2 of the corners) and just left the rest of the border plain.

I really can't wait to see what you come up with. Hope you post a photo.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use