Top 10 Posters

triangles

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 55
scotttina17 posted on Sun, May 25 2014 5:32 AM

Hi am new at this I cut all my pieces out and now I'm putting them together but the triangles are two small I check the size that I cut a it was right so what am I doing wrong please help Tina

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
227 Posts
Points 3,640
Answered (Not Verified) Deb replied on Sun, May 25 2014 11:51 AM
Suggested by Thea

Tina, it's sounds like you need more seam allowance . Could you share a little more details on the block your making.

Deb

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,687 Posts
Points 248,757
Thea replied on Sun, May 25 2014 12:06 PM

Yes, Tina we need more information - What are you doing with the triangles - are you making half square triangles... how are you cutting them - make sure on this as cross grain, straight of grain and bias make a big difference... do you know about the 1/4 seam allowance - the scant 1/4" seam allowance.. 

give us some more information so we can answer you properly!  Pictures help a lot!

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 55
Suggested by Thea

There is the info cut two 3 1/2 by fabric width strips subcut strips into 24 3 1/2 sq

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
227 Posts
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Sun, May 25 2014 3:28 PM

Tina , your problem maybe that your not taking a 1/4 inch seam. If you are using a regular foot and going on the edge of that it is more than a 1/4 inch. Do a little research and you will find out how to get a 1/4 inch seam. Hopes this is your problem so you don't have to recut everything!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,687 Posts
Points 248,757
Answered (Not Verified) Thea replied on Sun, May 25 2014 3:49 PM
Suggested by Thea

Okay - so from what I read - you have 24 - 3 1/2" squares - that you are doing what with?  

Are you taking them and laying them on top of each other to make 2  - half square triangles?  

If you are making 3 1/2" half square triangle blocks - then your strips have to be larger then 3 1/2" 

a 3 1/2" strip will make an approximate 2 5/8" half square triangle

to make a half square triangle - you would lay 2 squares on top of each other and then draw a diagonal line on one of the squares - 

You then stitch a scant 1/4" on each side of the line - cut on the line and you have 2 half square triangles...

a scant seam is 1 to 2 threads inside of the 1/4"

Pressing has a lot to do with it too - when you have the seam sewn - take it to the ironing board - lay your iron on top of it - then fold it open and press the seam to one side - wrong side first - turn over and press into the seam on the right side until the seam is flat... make sure you pressing into the seam

Your stitch length too has to be shortened on most new machines they are set for 3.0 - you want to reduce this to 2.5 or if you can go down to a 2.2 this makes it so whwen you are pressing into the seam the stitches are tight enough to hold 

When you are cutting your fabric for the 3 1/2" strips - are you using the grid on the cutting board or are you using a ruler - I do not use my cutting boards for measuring unless my ruler is not wide enough - I use make sure I cut 1 thread over from the line that I need - in your case 1 thread larger then 3 1/2"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,687 Posts
Points 248,757
Thea replied on Sun, May 25 2014 3:50 PM

YOu might go over to the swap group - one of the girls over there has done a great tutorial on how to cut your fabric.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
938 Posts
Points 15,900

1. Great info.  Where I get still get confused is when pattern instructions state (either)  sew 1/4" seam allowance,  use a 1/4" seam allowance or measurements include 1/4" seam allowance, I'm taking that to mean that the cut instructions already have the 1/4" seam allowance included.  But after trail & error I think when it says use 1/4" seam allowance that's when you need to add before cutting. (is that right?)  the meds I am on make it difficult to interpret written instruction.  (not sure why)  Also my grandmother told me to never put water in an iron cause it ruins the bottom.  (Maybe it did in her day) to just spray the water on the fabric but oh my I finally broke her rule and put water in my Rowenta and it made it so much simpler to get the seams pressed. Sorry Nanny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,687 Posts
Points 248,757
Thea replied on Sun, May 25 2014 5:25 PM

Donna, Most quilt patterns will already have the 1/4" seam allowance in the size of the pieces you are to cut.  the only time I have seen where you have to add the seam allowance is when you are doing hand piecing - then they give you the piece you copy it and add the 1/4" for your seam allowance or however much you want the seam allowance to be.  

A lot of patterns today will tell you 1/4" seam allowance... what you have to realize is that most of them - not all - you always have to check your measurements - but most of them will be incorporating that scant 1/4" seam allowance.

the 1/4 " scant seam allowance comes from the fact when you sew 2 pieces together - say 2 pieces that are 2" each - you should have a piece that is 3 1/2" when you are done - but if you don't press it correctly you will usually end up with a piece that is 3 3/8" instead of 3 1/2"  - so if you do the scant 1/4' seam you will normally get that 3 1/2" seam - 

'Pressing is very very important in quilting.  I have always put water in my irons - but again - on some fabrics beware - batiks will stretch and become smaller so you have to be very careful to PRESS - not  iron.. put your iron down and press into the seam - make sure also that you set the seam first before you press into it and do wrng side then right side and when you look at the right side make sure you can see your stitches - it will ease back so you won't see them but you want to see them at first so you know there is not tiny pleat there...

water in the iron - depends on the person - Mark Lipinski on one of the programs with Jodie Davis talked about using vodka and an oil scent mixed with water - I have done that too - or used the stuff that they sell called Best Press from Mary Ellen - that is just what Mark told us how to make and they tested a whole bunch of the irons - I still think you are lucky to get a good iron - some swear by their Rowenta's I won't buy another - I like HOT HOT HOT - and Black and Decker works for me although at the present time I am using a Rowenta - I have to laugh when I say I won't buy another as you should never say never cuz when you do you will - I bought one a year ago as the deal was just too good a $200 Rowenta for $20 - I think it was mismarked but I didn't care - I bought it!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
938 Posts
Points 15,900

Thea your right I do loose it in my pressing. I'm going to try your way of pressing and see if I get it back.  LOL  You guys are the best.

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 55

I went back and checked and it was more than the 1/4  so I redid them thanks for all your help this is my first big quilt

• | Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use