Newbie from Wisconsin

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100
Jen Posted: Fri, May 23 2014 9:38 PM

Hi all! My name is Jen and I am in Wisconsin. I joined the site tonight in anticipation of summer vacation. Just nine more days with kids, three days of inservice, then a little freedom! I am looking forward to exploring the site and seeing all of your beautiful work!

In my lifetime I have created about 45 quilts. I am mostly self-taught. My mother's motto is: If you can't glue it, don't do it! :) As you can guess, I didn't learn this art at her knee! I am currently working on a quilt called Quarter Century Commemerative, from a shop in Spring Green, WI called Country Sampler. I bought it a few years ago and am just getting to it. I am having so much fun with it. It is such a bummer that this silly teaching job keeps getting in the way of my quilting time!

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you! 

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,275

Welcome Jen! I'm sure you'll find lots to enjoy here on the site... lots of talent and inspiration here. Enjoy!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Fri, May 23 2014 11:02 PM

Hi Jen, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,280
Points 173,403
Marie replied on Sat, May 24 2014 7:31 PM

Hi and welcome Jen, nice to have you on board.  My mother was a crocheter so I didn't learn  this craft at her knee either.  I'm a self taught quilter with the help of videos, books and TV shows.  Then I discovered QCA and learned so much from this wonderful group.  I know you'll enjoy your time here getting to know them all.  BTW, I love your kitties in your avatar.  We have two also.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 710
Points 11,140

Hi Jen.  So cute about the not learning from your mother.  Made me giggle cause my mother can't stand any of the needle arts she thinks its boring. It must have skipped a generation cause her mother, my Nanny, taught me how to crochet, knit, hand embroider & cross stitch as well as hand quilting and sewing. (not to mention cooking too but my mother did that as well)  I'm just learning how to do everything by machine.  This site is wonderful.  So happy you joined. welcome aboard.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 211
Points 3,270

Hi Jen,

Nice getting to know  you and thank you for the laugh about your mother. 

My late mother made men's suits to measure, but she wasn't a good teacher.    I watched her and I started to sew on her machine after she went to visit my sister for a year.  While mom was there and I sat and basted, my project flew from my hands and I got it back finished in no time.  But she was a wonderful teacher when it came to cooking and baking.   :-)

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 192
Points 3,085
Deb replied on Sun, May 25 2014 5:40 AM

Welcome, Jen! 

I'm also a self taught quilter. Books were a great help to me for years ,the computer that we own was in the office. So I had very little chance to use it for any length of time.now I have this little thing in my hand(iPhone) and oh the fun I've had!!:)

Again, welcome! Right glad to have ya here! May your summer be bless with lots of stitches.

Deb

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Sun, May 25 2014 12:13 PM

Welcome to QCA Jen, I look forward to meeting you through the site and seeing your Quarter Century Commerative Quilt when you are done.  I have been a member since the site started - been with it through its ups and downs - we are on our 3rd owner for the site and so far this one is better then the 2nd owner.  I have been quilting since I was born I think and am mostly self taught - my Mom taught me how to sew but not quilt.  I absolutely am a quiltoholic.  

I am glad summer vacation is here for you - I am retired so have time on my hands all the time but have several diseases which get in my way - summer is my most productive part of the year as the warmth of the sun helps me out a lot... 

I am looking forward to getting to know you too!  If you have any questions, feel free to call on me I am one of the volunteer moderators for the site!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,275

..."I am looking forward to getting to know you too!  If you have any questions, feel free to call on me I am one of the volunteer moderators for the site!"

I didn't know that, Thea!! Thanks for adding that note to your message to Jen. You're perfect for the job... always patient and helpful and kind!!  :)  Are there other members who also fill the volunteer moderator role?  It would be good to know!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Sun, May 25 2014 9:24 PM

Springer Mom, I am not sure who is left - some people left the site and I don't know if they kept their status or not - or if the new company is going to use any of us.  I have just done it on a volunteer basis - there used to be a page on the left side that told about us.  I know Nana was one and she ran the mystery quilts - she left when all the problems on the site came about - not sure if she is going to do that anymore or not.  

I think Kris did some volunteer moderating too.  

All of us that have been here forever have tried to help newbies out as we can  - I try when I see the question - but I am not on here as much as I once was although now with the ability to get on here and have it work it makes it much nicer.  I am able most days to get to my home page now - for about 6 months I couldn't access it at all so was having everyone email me - I would get a message that there was a message for me but I wasn't able to respond or add to my gallery - it was a tough time.  

They don't even list me as a moderator anymore - not sure why!  but you can go to Meet the team and see the names of the moderators... they used to have our bios up there... It is now Karla , Johna and Shelle,   And Nana - I don't know the 1st 3 at all - I think they work for the company that bought it out this last time.  

I don't mind helping people though - that is how I got here in the first place - when Jodie started this oh so many years ago now she asked me to help people that had questions about quilting.  I have been teaching quilting for so many years - and we had another woman who would answer questions about computer problems - we were all volunteers... Sandy was the first Mystery quilt person and then Nana took that over.

I set up most of the Groups that were listed and then they were handed off to others who wanted to take on that responsibility - the groups are hard work as people don't always respond and it is hard.  But they are there and if people go back in the history of most of the groups they will find answers to questions that they have about most anything.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 100
Jen replied on Mon, May 26 2014 2:00 PM

Thanks for the welcomes ladies! I am excited to be here!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use