Calculate yardage for sashing and borders

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025
Belinda posted on Mon, May 19 2014 8:01 PM

How can I learn to calculate yardage I need for sashing and borders ??  I would like to "frame" 4 sides of all my squares w/ sashing , , 2-2 1/2 in , and squares are 18 1/2 in unfinished ,  Then use 3-3 1/2  unfinished , in borders to complete before binding . 

B. Roberts

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
801 Posts
Points 12,945

Belinda if I didn't have a smart phone with Quilt Fab, Quilt Block & RK Quilt Calc apps I wouldn't be able to do it.  But I learned my lesson to measure twice  cut once.  My last quilt my binding was too short had to piece it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,856 Posts
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Mon, May 19 2014 9:26 PM

Try this online calculator. Hope it helps. I'll see what else I can find that might help you short of typing in the instructions.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,856 Posts
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Tue, May 20 2014 11:24 AM

I found another online calculator as well. Check it out here.

Let me know if you need more information. I'm happy to help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,856 Posts
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Tue, May 20 2014 11:26 AM

Belinda:

How can I learn to calculate yardage I need for sashing and borders ??  I would like to "frame" 4 sides of all my squares w/ sashing , , 2-2 1/2 in , and squares are 18 1/2 in unfinished ,  Then use 3-3 1/2  unfinished , in borders to complete before binding . 

Belinda, how many 18-1/2" blocks do you have? How do you plan to lay them out? That is, how many across and how many up and down? I think i can help you better if I know that.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

Roxana , thank you for the calculators . It helped me alot . I have 20 squares total , of which i am going to use 15 - 5 down & 3 across for center with sashing . And then I plan on using 4 of others on corners , with maybe 1 left to put in center of one  row with the corner squares , and the corners will be the borders . This is going to be a quilt in memory of my mom and I may get one more square embroidered with my mom's memory wording . I will draw a diagram and post again later to help you see my plan. Thanks again . catch you later . Belinda , Mobile , AL

B. Roberts

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

MamaG , Thanks for good advice . I looked up all 3 apps and downloaded to my Kindle and phone . Very good calculators . Thanks again . Belinda , Mobile , AL

B. Roberts

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 1,025

L

Ladies , here is my plan I think I would like to do . Let me know if you think it is ok to do . I wonder if arranging corner squares like this will work  I have some embroidered linen 3 1/2 in may incorporate into 18 in borders , only enough to include in side borders . Or maybe should I corners on top and bottom of 3 rows across , since it may finish very wide as sketch above ??. I know it will finish in size for king or queen . Thanks for helping me .

Belinda , Mobile , AL   

B. Roberts

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use