Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela Posted: Tue, May 13 2014 7:22 PM

I am receiving automated emails with comments to a gallery post I made several weeks ago. The comments are obviously SPAM, but are not viewable on the site. Here is a link to the post that is getting the SPAM.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/media/p/629033.aspx

The email states: herschenbapedr has left the following comment regarding the file:

Touch & Feel Baby quilt.

Any help from QCA Admin. would be appreciated.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Sat, May 17 2014 3:50 PM

Wondering if I'm going to get a response to this issue. I just received another email from the same commenter. The email is very lengthy with numerous links. It is obviously SPAM and is generated as a comment from QCA regarding a gallery post.

I'd appreciate someone addressing this. Again, here is the profile leaving the comment.

herschenbapedr has left the following comment regarding the file:
Touch & Feel Baby quilt

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 7,615

Hi Pamela– Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about spam that reaches you from content you post to the Internet. The best thing you can do if you recognize an email as spam is delete it and do not open it. It's not spam coming from this site; it's coming from a remote spammer. I wish there was more I could do to help.

QCA Sheyenne

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, May 21 2014 2:38 PM

QCA  Sheyenne, this is the first time I have been on QCA in weeks.  I just checked my inbox for a response on the "spam emails" I have been receiving and reported to you.

I asked for help as the emails I'm receiving say they are from QCA Admin and DO NOT appear to be spam until they are opened!  I received a response from you saying I had been hacked and not to respond.  Then I received another message from QCA Admin saying the previous msg was in error and I had NOT been hacked...but no further info.  I am back to square one!!!  Again, I am sorry to say, zero help from QCA!

I am really offended by your response to Pamela above.  There is nothing you(QCA) can do about spam that reach you(us/the users) from content "you" post to the Internet? Excuse me, this data was posted to the internet by QCA...not US!!!  QCA has a responsibility to each of us to assure we have some protection from this mess it has created for its members!   

QCA's data has been hacked to obtain the email addresses associated with our accounts in your records!  You, just like Target, have a responsibility to maintain safe our personal information and I personally am very offended QCA's position is to place the blame back on the end user who had no control over how QCA maintained our records.  SHAME ON QCA!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 7,615

Hi Donna B– I apologize for offending you, I would not intentionally do so. This appears to be a new issue and, while I can't fix it myself, I will forward it to development to work on a solution.

In regards to the emails you're receiving from QCA Admin– we do not regularly send emails to personal email accounts. The only time I will send an email to a personal email account is if/when someone has won a contest, and in that case, that person will see an email signature with my full name, job title, contact information and QCA logo. If you don't see an email signature from Sheyenne Manning, do not respond or click any links. 

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Now that we're aware of this issue, we will immediately get to work on a solution.

QCA Sheyenne 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,949
Points 368,282
Kris replied on Thu, May 22 2014 12:46 PM

QCA Sheyenne:

Hi Pamela– Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about spam that reaches you from content you post to the Internet. The best thing you can do if you recognize an email as spam is delete it and do not open it. It's not spam coming from this site; it's coming from a remote spammer. I wish there was more I could do to help.

QCA Sheyenne

While I do think this comment was a tad harsh (blaming the user) I would like to point out that phishing is huge all over the internet. I get bogus emails from paypal, my bank and from banks I have no business with telling me to update my personal info or be locked out. I forward the emails to customer service so that can be aware of a potential breach. Never follow links in such emails. If you do business with the sender go directly to their website or call customer service.

Email addresses (and mailing addresses) are sold routinely by many companies. Ever get a catalog you never signed up for? There's plenty of blame to go around.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, May 22 2014 2:25 PM

Kris, I agree with you 100%.  As a retired postal employee, I don't mind getting the catalogs or "junk" mail, I just toss them if I don't want to even look them over.  After all, they did pay my salary for years.  As far as email, I just don't open them, delete them quickly, and go about my merry way.  Phishing is something that many, many companies/individuals do to provide additional business/viewers to their sites, but because of all of the hackers out there, I don't open them either, even though I might be curious.

We have to be smart internet users or those smart hackers will get us.  The delete key is a good friend of mine.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Sat, May 24 2014 1:06 PM

Then why is the message noted as an automated email from QCA, one that you're told not to respond to? I understand that my blog is available to the internet, but I wasn't aware that the gallery posts were outside of the QCA site?

Since I hadn't heard anything, I went ahead and deleted the gallery post. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Sat, May 24 2014 1:28 PM

Pamela - I don't know if I can explain it any better then those above - but to the best of their ability each company that we deal with tries to secure our information - I get notices from my bank all the time about different things that are out there and I am aware of the problems so check my accounts all the time - there are individuals and countries that try to get into our stuff all the time.  You have to be vigilant.  Recently, Target and a lot of other companies were hacked - yes all of them should have told us right up front but in a little bit of fairness to them I think they tried to fix the problem with out the hackers being aware that they had been caught doing it before they let the public be aware - 

I am sorry very sorry that someone targeted you and with QCA saying to all of us what they send emails out to us for - I am now better aware partly because you brought it to their attention and I thank you for that.  

I wish all the hackers and nasty people out there that like to make our lives miserable would get a life and let each person live to the best of their abilities and be good neighbors but alas that will only happen in my dreams... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,949
Points 368,282
Kris replied on Sat, May 24 2014 8:16 PM

Pamela:
I understand that my blog is available to the internet, but I wasn't aware that the gallery posts were outside of the QCA site?

Everything on this site can be viewed on the internet (except, maybe, private messages). This is why on occasion we will remind members to not post too much personal info on here. I find a lot of things on this site by using Google or some other search engine. It's easier than the sites own search. I find my own photos quite often.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,552
Points 245,982
Thea replied on Fri, May 30 2014 10:09 AM

QCA Sheyenne, I have been getting this error message every day for about a week now when I go to post a message - the message gets posted but this is a little frustrating when you are trying to post to different groups and on the main board - you have to wait about a minute - not much I know but then you have to clear your page and sometimes reopen the QCA web page...

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

Thought maybe you could check it out and see if you can get it corrected.  I know I am not the only one that is getting this because I have been getting emails from members of my group that are unsure whether their message is getting to me because of the above mentioned message.  

Thank you for looking into this.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 7,615

Thea:

QCA Sheyenne, I have been getting this error message every day for about a week now when I go to post a message –

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Thought maybe you could check it out and see if you can get it corrected.  I know I am not the only one that is getting this because I have been getting emails from members of my group that are unsure whether their message is getting to me because of the above mentioned message.  

Thank you for looking into this.

Hi Thea– which forum are you posting to? Sometimes they get overloaded and throw error messages. Let QCA Rachel know which one it is and she'll look into it. She may have to retire the old thread and start a new one.

QCA Sheyenne

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 821
Points 13,475

Rachel this is happening on the long thread posts.  You retired #9 of Did you work on Quilt but its happening on the other #9 of What are you up to. (happens in both Google Chrome & Internet Explorer)

Also the website runs much better in Google Chrome for me except it won't allow me to upload pictures.  I have to switch Internet Explorer in order to upload pics oh & send friend requests also.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Fri, May 30 2014 1:38 PM

I'm getting this same error message, every time I try to post.   doesn't matter which thread I am on.

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 260
Points 13,940
qcarachel replied on Fri, May 30 2014 1:46 PM

I will retire What have you done today #9 and start a 10th thread.

Gini- sometimes downloading and using a new browser causes the site to run better. I use Firefox and have very good luck. Let me know if this solves the issue.

QCA Rachel

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use