Page 7 of 7 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 103 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 8:12 AM

Sue, I am glad that you are having a great trip.  I have not been able to get on your blog for some reason.  It takes me to other peoples older blogs, but nothing recent, so I guess that I am missing out on the trip.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 9:55 AM

Sue, I have enjoyed reading about your trip.  What a wonderful anniversary present.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 826
Points 16,425
Sue replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 12:50 AM

Thanks for the kind words ladies,

Ginny so sorry to hear you are having trouble getting on to the blog.  Try going from this link again ( thegreatalaskaadventure.blogspot.com  ) , maybe you need to clear the cookies on your machine so you can get on.  One thing though, if you do clear cookies, you will have to sign in to all your sites again so be sure you have the passwords!

Don't know where you last saw us but we are now in Fairbanks having survived the top of the world highway.  The road is good from Dawson City to the border, gravel all the way.  Once you cross the border to the us side the road sucks.  We were told that the US is redoing the road and it shows.  All the turnouts are gone and the gravel is huge chunks.  Max speed is 5 to 10 MPH.  When there were turnouts we took them just for the rest.  Anyway, Chicken was interesting, saw the whole place in 10 minutes.  Delta Junction is the official end of the highway, small community, nice quilt shop!  Tok is where we got our mail, again very small village, drove the whole thing in about 15 minutes because we took some side roads to look at housing there.  The road into Fairbanks was pretty good.  Today we took the riverboat trip on the Chena River, tomorrow will be explore downtown and find the quilt shop.

I'll be posting photos in a little while.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Tue, Jun 17 2014 4:40 PM

Hello Sue,

I just saw your post on Fairbanks and was in heaven.   It's one of my favorite places in the whole world, in part because I was born there.    I left when I was very small so I didn't have any memories of it until two years ago when my husband and I there on our trip.   I loved just getting out and exploring the city.     Your pictures are reminding me of so many great memories of that trip.   Thanks for the journey back if only in my mind.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975

I just love Alaska. It is so beautiful. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 826
Points 16,425
Sue replied on Wed, Jun 18 2014 12:37 AM

Robin you are so very welcome!

Today we visited Pioneer Village.  Neat place and it's free.  Lots of historical cabins moved here so they are saved but now they are tourist trap shops, Oh well, at least they are still saved.  The paddle wheel Nena was also moved here and restored/  The lower deck now houses a model train setup and dioramas of some of the villages along the Chena River.  Lots of stuff for the kids to do here too.  We also visited the Alaska Bowl Company, WOW! is all I can say about this place.  They make bowls out of Birch trees, as many as 3 from one slice of a log.  Prices reflect their workmanship too. A small 7" bowl is priced at $24!  Too rich for my budget, they were just stunning though.

More on the blog.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Wed, Jun 18 2014 5:53 AM

Sue,

So cool that you found Material Girls shop.   We went to that one and the Great Northern.  Materials girls was a lot more fun for me.   We also did the Pioneer Village one evening because we were a tour group they had a meal for us.  It was a nice location.  We didn't visit the Alaska Bowl Co.   but when we reached Anchorage we did go the Ulu Factory which was interesting.   I actually bought a couple of those and I love mine.    Somewhere I can't remember if it was before or after (I think after) a museum to the Iditarod  Race.  You can ride on a cart pulled by dogs.   Also somewhere between Fairbanks and Anchorage there is memorial for Veteran's that was cool.

Have a great stay in the 50th state.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sat, Jun 21 2014 3:43 AM

Sue,

Your most recent post does not sound like a lot of fun.   Glad you were able to make it back to Fairbanks and hope your next venture on is more successful.   Keep on traveling and sharing your story!

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Sue, thanks for the thread. I doubt I will ever make it to Alaska so it has been fun following your adventures. :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 5:34 AM

Sue,

Been watching your trip with such fond memories flowing through my head.   I love the pictures that you have posted of all the places you have stopped.  Some of them we went to some of them we missed.  But Whitter I remember.  My legs got so cold on that trip, but it was beautiful.   When we were there, there was hundreds of birds flying around that waterfall.  I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit.

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 826
Points 16,425
Sue replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 10:50 AM

Thanks Robin, we have been having a great time.  I don't remember seeing that many birds around the waterfall, but then we were there in the afternoon.  Or maybe because I was so fascinated with the glacier calving that I forgot to look anywhere else! LOL

Now we are trying to decide on where to go next.  We've been in Hope, dry camping,  for the last 3 nites and we need to have mail sent.  We'll work it out.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sat, Aug 9 2014 7:08 AM

Sue,

It's looks like you guys have had such an awesome adventure.  I love the wood carving in front of the college.   I can't get over how much yall have seen.  How much longer will you be there?

Robin

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 826
Points 16,425
Sue replied on Sat, Aug 9 2014 10:15 AM

Thanks Robin, we are having a great time.  Not sure how much longer we will be here.  Debating on our next adventure.  I want to go to Haines to see more Eagles, but DH doesn't want to make the 300 mile RT down and back.  We are now in Gakona on the Tok Cutoff road heading towards Tok.  Last night was cold!  W\e also need to head toward So Calif.  My Uncle is trying to schedule some surgery and would like us to be there.  Soooo.....??

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Sue, I have so enjoyed your blog, I would love to take a trip like that but it is highly unlikely. Thank you so much for posting the pictures and commentary. You showed pictures of places that I have only heard about. 

Hope your uncle gets better soon and doesn't need the surgery!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 7 of 7 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use