Top 10 Posters

Alaska for the Summer

Page 4 of 7 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 103 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, May 11 2014 8:04 AM

Sue:
There was a rest stop along the interstate where we discovered that the highway was originally called the Lincoln Highway.

The Lincoln Highway runs right past our house here in Fernley, NV.  I had no idea that it ran that far into Wyoming.

I think the name of the other river might be the Gallatin...it runs through the west side of Yellowstone and is just magnificent.

Enjoy your trip...I might be able to make the trip to Alaska one of these days.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 824
Points 16,400
Sue replied on Sun, May 11 2014 11:29 AM

Ginny I'm not enjoying the snow either, and it started again last night and is still snowing now!  Tomorrow is expected to be sunny and 65, what a change!

Karla that highway goes from San Francisco to Chicago.  It may go beyond but I loose it on the mapping program I have.  The Madison is also on the west side, but I don't think we crossed that one.  I'll have to bring in the paper maps to find out which ones we crossed, not that it matters much, LOL.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,931
Points 33,620
Roxana replied on Sun, May 11 2014 1:34 PM

Sue, thanks so very much for sharing your trip with us. I love the pictures!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Sun, May 11 2014 8:09 PM

Another set of great photos Sue. That bust of Lincoln looks so lonely.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 824
Points 16,400
Sue replied on Mon, May 12 2014 11:05 PM

You are most welcome Roxana.  Kris he sure does look lonely there!  I wouldn't want to be stuck standing there all by myself in that cold climate!

Today we did some sightseeing around Great Falls after having breakfast with some of the group here.  We headed up to the "Corp of Discovery" state park.

These are metal statues, looking up river at the falls that need to be crossed.  The center is not yet open for the season, but because there was a large group of children there doing a project, we were allowed to go thru the exhibits for free!  This is a must do site if ever in Great Falls.  After looking at all the the displays and reading all the signs, we headed down river to one of the overlooks.  Here we are in front of one of the falls.

And this is looking downriver from where we are standing.

DH is fascinated with trains so we went in search of the rail yards, along the way we saw this family group in one of the riverside parks, aren't they cute!

Then we turned down a side street and saw this yard!  Don't you just adore the "flower pot" hanging on the wall!

Here's a snow plow, painted to look like it's gobbling up the snow.

And finally, here's where we are camped, beautiful sites.

It's now after 11p, so I am going to head off to bed.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Tue, May 13 2014 2:24 AM

Sue,

Looks like it's already a great adventure.  Thanks so much for sharing. It is such beautiful country side that you are seeing.  But  I can't wait for you to get in Alaska.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Tue, May 13 2014 7:04 AM

Sue, that yard was intriguing to say the least.  Looks like someone is following their whims.  I am really enjoying your trip so far.    Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Tue, May 13 2014 9:57 AM

Sue, thanks for the virtual trip to Alaska, the pics are great!  Don't tell me that's what I think it is hanging on the wall!  Let me guess, it belongs in a BR?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Tue, May 13 2014 9:59 AM

Kris:

Another set of great photos Sue. That bust of Lincoln looks so lonely.

And a bit sad, Kris.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 824
Points 16,400
Sue replied on Tue, May 13 2014 12:10 PM

Marie:

Don't tell me that's what I think it is hanging on the wall!  Let me guess, it belongs in a BR?

Yep! it sure does!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 824
Points 16,400
Sue replied on Tue, May 13 2014 12:15 PM

Robin:

But  I can't wait for you to get in Alaska.

Robin

Neither can we Robin, but it is a very long way yet.  We've traveled just over 2000 miles so far and still have about 1000 more before reaching Tok on June 13th!

Today is sunny, cool and beautiful!  This is the last laundry stop for a while so today is also chores day.  Later this afternoon we will head to WalMart for some last minute groceries then fuel the truck.  $3.98 for diesel here.

• Filed under:
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 405
Points 6,895
Phyllis replied on Tue, May 13 2014 12:35 PM

Sue,

Are you traveling with an RV group or just some friends or what?  Sounds like fun and we are all enjoying the trip through your pictures and commentary!

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Tue, May 13 2014 1:43 PM

Sue:

Marie:

Don't tell me that's what I think it is hanging on the wall!  Let me guess, it belongs in a BR?

Yep! it sure does!

Too funny!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 298
Points 4,860

Sue, were there actually flowers in the urinal? If not, considering that it is hanging on a wall of the seemingly occupied house, I wonder if it might be plumbed in and used for intended purpose?? Never underestimate people....!! haha.

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 938
Points 15,900

Sue love all the updates and photos.  Glad your road trip is going well.  Continue to be safe and have fun. 

Page 4 of 7 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use