Page 1 of 7 (101 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 100 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue Posted: Fri, May 2 2014 9:30 PM

Hi all,

DH and I are headed to Alaska for the summer.  We left Livingston Texas on Tuesday and got only 125 miles north before the truck broke down.  It's a diesel, the high pressure oil pump quit, it was like someone just turned off the key.  The tow truck driver towed the trailer to a campground then took DH and the truck to a mechanic.  Then they went in search of a rental vehicle for us.  The campground is basic hookups and nothing else.  But at least we have a safe place to stay while the truck is being worked on.

Tonight we got the truck back, about 5p.  We took it out for a test drive, everything seems to be working well, then got fuel at the WalMart ($3.60 a gal).  Tomorrow we will continue the journey.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 646
Points 12,625

Sue, How wonderful that you can get to Alaska for the summer!  Glad you got the bad luck out of the way early. Are you going to keep a journal of your travels?  Let's see some pictures of your journey. Have a great time!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,504
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Sat, May 3 2014 6:14 AM

Sue, I wish you and DH nothing but good luck for the rest of your trip. Hopefully , you got rid of any bugs that would be a hindrance for the rest of your trip.   Keep us updated on your travels.  Some of us can live vicariously through your travels.    Ginny

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 654
Points 12,395

Loving to be able to see your trip here on the QCA.  I will keep up with you here also. We head out in mid-May after son graduates at A&M May 10th. I will also try to post pics, but can only get on the website on the laptop. Trying to get that issue fixed before we head out on the trip so I can post pics also. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Sat, May 3 2014 7:48 AM

Thanks Ginny and Carol.  Carol it would be wonderful if you can get all the ducks in a row so you can post.  I brought my laptop with me, so did DH, they don't take up that much space!

So here's a few pics for you:

This one is heading N on US 59, we sure hope the traffic will be like this the whole way! LOL

And here's the engine torn apart.

See where that round thing is near the firewall?  The high pressure oil pump is behind and below that.  After paying for this repair, the rental and fuel, we may be on bread and water for a few weeks!

• Filed under:
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Sat, May 3 2014 7:49 AM

Sorry, that should have been Michelle getting ducks in a row.  Hope we can meet up somewhere.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795

Sue enjoy your scenic trip!! I drove to Anchorage a few years ago from Oklahoma City in my Mustang and my dog. My sons lived in Anchorge,  I flew him to Montana to drive the rest of the way with me. We had so much fun driving the ALCAN.   Canada was awesome, as was the Yukon Territory!  Watch out for the swarms of Mosquitos in the Canadian Moutains! They are huge!  So many travel trailers also , most common problem  are chipped windshields from rocks kicked up by them. Hope your vehicle won't cause you any more problems service is few and far between up in those parts.  But when you get to the Yukon, the daylight Bradley goes away! It is so awesome!!  Looking forward to hearing of your travels!! Everyone should be able to say ," I Drove the ALCAN!! ".  So beautiful!  Prayers for a safe trip!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,272
Points 173,273
Marie replied on Sat, May 3 2014 8:59 AM

Sue and Michelle, have a safe and wonderful trip!  Love the pics so far Sue.  A summer in Alaska is a dream come true.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, May 3 2014 9:41 AM

Sue, I have had my high pressure oil pump go on my diesel, what an expense!  I feel your pain.  I took a cruise to Alaska a few years ago and I can still see everything like I was there.  Enjoy your summer...and there is a great quilt shop in  Sitka!!!!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Sat, May 3 2014 10:17 PM

Boy you know it Flo!  We joke now that we will be eating only bread and drinking free water for a while in order to recoup the expense!

Today we drove 363 miles from Jacksonville, TX to Guthrie, OK.  Mostly easy driving, some freeway from the East side of Dallas into Oklahoma.  Did make a stop in Mineola, TX at the Stitchin' Haven Quilt shop (it was on the way!), great shop with lots of Batiks and some very pretty florals too.  Even though I can't/won't buy any fabric (tongue in cheek) this trip, I am on the lookout for a floral for a border.  Sorry didn't take any pics today, and my posts will only be late in the evenings now.

I'll have to look for that quilt shop in Sitka.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Sat, May 3 2014 10:27 PM

There's a nice Quilt shop in Guthrie! Those are my old stomping grounds! I lived in OKC and Crescent Ok. Right outside of Guthrie to the North. I know every road around CentralOk. Did Home Health Nursing there for years.  All my relatives just about still live in Crescent, yell Hello to my Son on your way through Guthrie will you!! Enjoy your trip!!   

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Points 15,930
Sue replied on Sat, May 3 2014 10:50 PM

Candis, sure wish we had the time to stop for a few days, but we need to get to Kansas to see my cousin before she leaves for Calif.  We'll just have to make a return visit here some day!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,459
Points 361,912
Kris replied on Sun, May 4 2014 10:57 AM

Hi Sue, Sorry about the trouble with your vehicle. It's good you're back on the road. I hope that was all the trouble you'll encounter. Looking forward to more photos.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sun, May 4 2014 3:16 PM

You and Michelle should put your heads togeter and see if you might be in the same place at the same time. Preferably where there is a quilt shop

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sun, May 4 2014 3:22 PM

My budget is always tight, so when we travel I get 1 piece of fabric that is unique to that state.  Then when I make the quilt I have a life long memory, plus I am not bringing home alot of doodads that I will probably never look at again.  And the shop in Sitka had a peice that was printed for them.  if you PM me your email I can send you the info.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 7 (101 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use