Top 10 Posters

Strip block with a flip technique

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 735
SuzyCraftMaker posted on Sun, Apr 27 2014 8:37 AM

Looking for information on a technique "tip" I found online and now can't find it...

Two strip blocks made. Stack right sides together - one with stripes horizontal and the other with the stripes vertical - sew around all sides of the block and then cut diagonally corner to corner. Then arrange the pieces in a variety of patterns to make your block.

Anyone used this technique - or can find the link?

I should have bookmarked it - but it seemed so simple - now I'm not sure if it was two blocks done with the same fabrics, or two different ones.....I like the effect I got, but would like to look at this tip again.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,921 Posts
Points 125,005

Sounds interesting. I tried a variety of Google search word combinations without any luck. I'll be watching this topic and hope someone else is familiar with the technique.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,933 Posts
Points 33,660
Answered (Not Verified) Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 10:00 AM
Suggested by Roxana

It's a pattern by Candace Hansen. She sells the pattern along with how to get it into a quilt.Her blog is http://quiltdesignsbycandace.blogspot.com/ and her Etsy store is https://www.etsy.com/people/QuiltDesignsbyCandac.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,933 Posts
Points 33,660
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 10:03 AM

The block is called "Sonja's Windows" and it appeared in McCalls Magazine. A pdf of that page can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quiltsfromtheheart.org%2Fpatterns%2Fsonyas-windows-strip-block.pdf&ei=2CddU6u0L6iq2QXq_YDYDg&usg=AFQjCNHvxcwV278zFkGtKMnO_YGI-WYhEw&sig2=zgdLbohNJMukkgxGV3h_pA&bvm=bv.65397613,d.b2I

If the link doesn't work, google the name of the block.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,933 Posts
Points 33,660
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 10:07 AM

Candace spoke recently to our quilt guild. The big block is 14" square and two are places in opposite directions and sewn and cut as you said. The smaller blocks are 9" blocks I believe. The strips you sew together are of varying length. I've got eight blocks finished on a quilt I am working on. I'll see if I can find it and the EQ7 file I created to see what it would look like without sashing.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,933 Posts
Points 33,660
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 10:11 AM

My quilt is for a graduation present for a high school senior going to the University of Arkansas in the fall. So I've included the school colors and the mascot fabric in it. This is just a beginning.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 11:05 AM

I love it, Roxana.  Red, black and white are some of my favorite quilt color combinations.  The recipient will love it!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
903 Posts
Points 17,115

Roxana, that is going to be so pretty! I like the idea of the different width strips and different direction. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,894 Posts
Points 69,195
Bonita replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 12:17 PM

I love the red and black quilts with just a touch of white. Your senior will love it too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,933 Posts
Points 33,660
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 12:21 PM

Bonita:

.... Your senior will love it too.

My DH loves it too so I am just going to do enough blocks for two quilts and then see what goes best together.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,240 Posts
Points 19,255

Roxana I love your Black, Red and White quilt. I'm sure your HS senior and you DH will both love them.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,933 Posts
Points 33,660
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 4:35 PM

Thanks, everyone. I just hope that was the block Suzy was looking for! It sure sounds like it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
940 Posts
Points 15,910

Love it Roxanna. Great Job.

Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 735

Thanks - it is a variation of that pattern, I believe. It was using just 4 strips and so looks much different when put together (without sashing).

I've been twitting and turning to see what combination I like.

Thanks so much - I have also downloaded the PDF from the one someone else mentioned. THIS helps so much.

Not Ranked
Female
34 Posts
Points 735

Auto correct strikes again.... twitting was supposed to be twisting and turning....

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use