Very new to quilting

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 215
ROBINH2 Posted: Fri, Apr 25 2014 1:40 PM

I just started learning the wonderful world of quilting. I have to say that right now I am frustrated. I guess it will take time and patience.

I am new to QCA and it has so many tips and I am learning some very basic things. I am so excited about learning to quilting.

Does anybody know of some good beginners books related to quilting.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,929
Points 33,535
Roxana replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 1:43 PM

Welcome to QCA! You will find a wealth of friends here!

Where are you from? Are you new to sewing as well?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 215
ROBINH2 replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 1:54 PM

I am from San Diego CA. I am very new to sewing. I learned somethings in I believe it was 7th grade. It was a very long time ago.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 15,790

Welcome this is a great website and a great bunch of friends.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
Points 5,120

Welcome, Robin

Don't let being brand new frustrate or scare you.  We all started at the beginning and got there.  Just think of all the fun learning new techniques, finishing those first few projects (and sending us pictures so we can praise and ahh), starting your fabric stash.  It is great fun!  Just enjoy the process and everyone on QCA is here to help.

Barbara

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 890
Points 16,810

Welcome, Robinh!  You asked about a quilting book. Alex Anderson has one that is about beginning quilting. Ii's available on Amazon. I don't have this book but I have a couple others of hers. She explains everything very well. 

Start Quilting with Alex Anderson: Everything First-Time Quilters Need to Succeed; 8 Quick Projects--Most in 4 Sizes [Paperback]

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,855
Brenda replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 7:35 PM

Robin, which part of San Diego are you from I am from Ramona.  Enjoy your journey.

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 205
Points 3,740
Patricia4 replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 8:19 PM

Brenda, you and I are both in the Dear Jane Group -- and I am also in a Farmer's Wife group at my LQS, and one of my classmates is from Ramona!  I know she was involved in quilting there as well.  Would be such a completely weird and small world if you guys know each other.  Her name is Karen but I don't know her last name ....

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 8:34 PM

Welcome!!!   Most of Eleanor Burns "Quilt in a Day" books are easy.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 15,015

Welcome, if your a paid member her, don't forget all the free videos this site has to offer! All kinds just right for new, beginning Quilters. I am a visual person, I read books and quilting magazines, but seeing it being done was even better!  Also there are hundreds of videos on utube, but Please if you have a membership here, take advantage of all the instructional videos, you will be less frustrated, and eager to learn more!  

MODESTO, CA.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,674
Points 179,313
Marie replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:47 AM

Welcome Robin, Eleanor Burns is who got me started.  Her books are very easy to follow with lots of visuals.  I watched her on my PBS channel.  I'm also hooked on Jenny Doan.  She has many videos on Utube and is simple to follow.  I recommend them highly.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,929
Points 33,535
Roxana replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 8:28 AM

Robin, I agree with what Candis said about the wealth of information here. Also, we've started a group called A Quilting Resource where we will centralize info available to those who are not paid members.

Like Candis, I need books and illustrations. My "Go To" book for quilting is The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide, edited by Ellen Pahl and publised by Rodale Press.

Just ask anything and usually someone here will answer! We love to talk!

I'd also suggest the help section available from your HOME page as far as learning to navigate QCA.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 935
Points 15,790

Jenny Doan's video tutorials on YouTube are also free and great for beginners.  I love them.   Especially these two below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4&index=2&list=PLdLgjppwcFJllkMo7h1oMw8m73jkZmm5r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEJLnaZQOU&index=3&list=PLdLgjppwcFJllkMo7h1oMw8m73jkZmm5r

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,020
Points 369,812
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 9:11 PM

ROBINH-2:
 I just started learning the wonderful world of quilting. I have to say that right now I am frustrated.

Welcome to QCA and to quilting. Frustration is part of the learning process stick with it. 

Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting is very good. I still refer to it from time to time. Fons & Porter's book is good too.

The All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool is good to have as well.

Of course, as mentioned above, the internet is a wonderful tool. Videos and a myriad of blogs with great tutorials.

Have fun on the site.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

Welcome Robin

I started to quilt early last year and I started making pot holders, followed by placemats etc.  I have learned from watching youtube.    Sewing with Nancy is a good place to learn how to make a potholder.   

I have been sewing for my kids when they were growing up from shirts to Halloween costumes.  I also sewed many stuffed animals.  I have just found a brand new  way to hand quilt youtube.

The commercials are annoying but the  lady from Australia is worth watching.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zej-2uIyLY0

Marianne

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use