Comprehensive Block book?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 340
Melissa Wise posted on Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:19 PM

Hello all, I'm curious to see if anyone knows of or can recommend a good book which contains a great deal of older blocks and, perhaps, information regarding their history and/or origin. I am a historian in addition to being a quilter and wondered if anything like this existed?

I was thinking of buying "5,500 Quilt Block Designs" by Maggie Malone or "The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns" by Jenny Beyer but saw some vastly mixed reviews on Amazon for the former and really good reviews for the latter. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,877 Posts
Points 32,585
Answered (Verified) Roxana replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 4:10 PM
Verified by Melissa Wise

The Jenny Beyer book is extensive and has a great bibliography. SHe gives the history on many of the blocks but not all. What I like is that she also gives the other names a block is called.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,952 Posts
Points 368,312
Answered (Verified) Kris replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:20 PM
Verified by Melissa Wise

Barbara Brackman is a quilt historian who has an encyclopedia similar to Jinny Beyer's book. Barbara's encyclopedia is available as a stand alone program or EQ add-on called "Block Base". 

• | Post Points: 55

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,877 Posts
Points 32,585
Answered (Verified) Roxana replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 4:10 PM
Verified by Melissa Wise

The Jenny Beyer book is extensive and has a great bibliography. SHe gives the history on many of the blocks but not all. What I like is that she also gives the other names a block is called.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,952 Posts
Points 368,312
Answered (Verified) Kris replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:20 PM
Verified by Melissa Wise

Barbara Brackman is a quilt historian who has an encyclopedia similar to Jinny Beyer's book. Barbara's encyclopedia is available as a stand alone program or EQ add-on called "Block Base". 

• | Post Points: 55
Top 50 Contributor
2,831 Posts
Points 39,995
ls2116 replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:42 PM

I have the the quilt block bible but i wish it were bigger like my magazine collection.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 340

Roxana,

That is good to hear. The description I found online sort of hinted at that and some of the reviews I read said she'd given some history but it's good to know it's in-depth. Thanks so much for responding!

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 340

Kris, thanks for the information!  I have one of Barbara's other books, the one on the civil war patterns, and wasn't very thrilled with it.  I bought the kindle edition instead of a print edition of that book so it's very often tough to use and the photos can't be resized....and it crashes/freezes up a great deal. I'll see if the library or the quilt guild maybe has a copy to check out for the time being as I can't find copies of either books in print for sale in the bookstores here. And I completely forgot about the EQ addons. I'll take a look at that tonight!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
180 Posts
Points 2,310
MizPat replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 2:30 PM

Melissa, I have both the program and the print versions of BlockBase. I also have Maggie Malone's book. I much prefer BlockBase, as the blocks are very carefully drawn, angles are precise and the blocks are totally scaleable. In all fairness, however, Maggie's book predates computers, so the blocks are hand-drawn, making them difficult to re-draft for a different size.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 340

Very interesting. I am still a novice when it comes to EQ7 so, after looking at the BlockBase addon, I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest more in the program. I like it but it doesn't seem to play well with my cutting dies so I am on the fence. I'll see if I can improve my skill with the program first. Thank you for the information, knowing the blocks are scalable helps a great deal!

Cheers,

Mel

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use