Chalk board fabric

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,580
klaynegrimm Posted: Thu, Apr 24 2014 1:21 PM

Just a quick question for anyone. Has anyone used Chalkboard fabric before?  i bought some recently for a couple of projects I have in mind for Christmas and was wondering if anyone has any tips they discovered.  Thanks

HEM UP YOUR BLESSINGS SEW THEY WON'T UNRAVEL.

Kerry G

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 1:39 PM

Just keep up with those instructions about how to prime it. I also cut mine a little bigger than the project I was working on and then trimmed it to fit. I made placemats with them with laminated material on the other side. They were for my grandchildren to take to a restaurant. My girlfriend and I made up the pattern.

What are you planning to make?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:00 PM

Here are the instructions for priming the fabric:

To prepare the fabric the surface must be "primed" before use. To prime the fabric rub the side of a piece of common chalk over the entire surface from top to bottom and side to side. Using a soft cloth wipe off the chalk and repeat. To erase chalk, wipe the fabric with a soft cloth. To renew the fabric after use wipe with a damp sponge and follow the instructions to "prime" the surface again.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 394
Points 6,725
Phyllis replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:33 PM

Pictures Roxana?  Never heard of chalkboard fabric and would love to see the placemats.  Sounds like a great idea for kids in a restaurant!

Bonner Springs, Kansas

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:03 PM

I gave them away without taking a picture! Can you believe that? I asked my daughter to take one so we'll see if she still has them. Ha!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:40 PM

Here are pictures of it opened for writing and drawing and then rolled up for carrying. The outside showing on the rolled up side is actually the place mat. Since it's vinyl (or what's the kind of cloth that's waterproof? Something cloth? It escapes me now.), it just wipes clean.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 3:49 PM

I posted the instructions we came up with on my blog page. Let me know if you have questions.

Instructions for "Chalk Mat/Place Mat" for Kids to Use When Eating Out

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

I was wondering about this fabric also. Your place mats are adorable.I have 4 babies coming in my family this year and thought that would make a wonderful shower gift. You did a great job.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 10:40 AM

The other fabric is called OILCLOTH. Sorry I just had a senior moment! I use both the vinyl coated cotton and the oilcloth in my projects.

Thanks for liking the project, Melissa! How's the store going? One of these days I'll get to see it! Congratulations on it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,580

Thanks Roxana

I had found some stuff online about it and the priming but not like your explanation. It said nothing that I remember about rubbing both ways or that it had to be primed every time it was cleaned. The project I want to do a quilted message boards. Excuse me I have to brag a second. Soon to be new grandma thought they would make a great little gift for new mom and dad.  Not as big and bulky as larger message boards. I want one also just for my fridge so I can write down stuff as use it up for store list etc. I thought by adding backing and some magnets I could just hang on the fridge.

Next question I don't remember it stating it was hard to cut do you use designated scissors (for non or odd fabrics) or an old rotary cutter blade? I was thinking of an old blade about ready to be changed?

You know you should do what some others do and make a web site and teach just remember to give QCA members a break in pricing.

KerryG

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 11:21 AM

Thanks so much, Kerry, for the vote of confidence. I, like others I am dependent on, like to share on QCA! I'm not sure I am ready to start blogging to the world! LOL!

I didn't use any special cutter. It wasn't difficult and it is fabric.

I like your message board idea but I think I wouldn't quilt it. Instead, I'd use a stiff interfacing in the place of the batting. Back it and put a cute binding on. (Did you see the new forum post on binding? I'm anxious to try the bias binding the way Patrick Lose does it!) Another thing you could do it add a top to the chalk fabric and personalize it with a family name or some cute title.... or even something to do with a baby. Just a thought.

Congratulations on the new arrival! .... Congrats too to Melissa on hers!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 11:25 AM

Another thought, Kerry, on the magnets: The stainless steel refrigerators don't take magnets so you could do a hanger that would hang from a suction cup hook. Just a thought. I love your idea!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 801
Points 12,930

That is way to cool.  I'm going to have to make a couple of these chalk place mats for my grand babies.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,580

Thanks again Roxana your right about quilting as I am brain storming here I think it would be too soft and difficult to write on.  I like the other ideas as well and thanks for the congrats. I am so excited having had only grand puppies and grand turtles for years I can't wait. 

Just a thought maybe when the new group gets going we could have a page for unusual fabrics and care and stuff. What do you think? I saw that you had sites for binding on the new site but haven't got to watch any of them. If  you remember binding and I don't get along I know it is just a mental block so I am looking forward to doing some stuff (small projects) and trying new techniques.

Kerry G

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,856
Points 32,245
Roxana replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 12:09 PM

The new group is up and going now. We just need to find out what people are interested in learning. I'll be on the watch put for different fabrics.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use