Top 10 Posters

Do I need more contrast in this colour combo?

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 450
BarbC replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 4:50 AM

Brigit-Carol - I really like purples (also fond of unicorns).  I think the purple is great with the unicorns but I would actually go darker on the blue.  Either way, it is going to be a beautiful quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 2:42 PM

I also think the blue would look good if it was darker...I love the colors even the way they are, I just don't know if it will provide enough contrast.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 4:02 PM

Brigit-Carol:

The dark blue and lavender are beautiful with this print.  

Look very closely at the darkest color in this print.  It is the color used for shadowing -- like inside the ears or mixed in the tail or mane of the unicorns.  I can't tell from the internet, but it may be a midnight navy or blue-based black.  That might be a good color for anchoring the lighter colors.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

Thank you all for your responses and offers to find more fabric.  I think I may have found a lighter lavender from an E-Bay seller.  She's sending me a sample.  I originally was going to go with an almost navy blue -- it has a tiny vine design on it, but I didn't have enough.  It's a Marshall's fabric so the next time I order I'll get some more.   I think you are right that the darker blue will stand out better. 

I'll keep you posted as I create this -- even though I don't like purple, I think it will be smashing.  I'm also going to cut the size of the blocks down a bit.  After viewing the videos on this pattern, I realised I don't like the focus blocks being so large, so will cut them down to 10-1/2 instead of 12-1/2".  Thankfully this pattern is simple enough it won't take too much math.  Plus, by fussy cutting I can frame the unicorns better in a 10" block.

Here's a pic of the blue I'm talking about.  I could also go with a solid navy or even a black as the colour dots on the selvedge do show black. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 144
Points 2,210

Hi there!  I'm a new member and also still learning how to put fabrics together for the best results.  I think I like the darker blue with the print and lavender as well.  Good luck and can't wait to see it finished!!

Barbara

Barbara

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Tue, May 6 2014 2:26 PM

I really like the darker you pulled out.  It will frame up the unicorns really well.

I am a purple person, but some purples are more red and some more blue.  I think you need to stick with the ones that lean towards the blue to keep the contrast.  Love the unicorn fabric!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 789
Points 12,705
Quiltless replied on Tue, May 13 2014 3:15 PM

The darker blue makes the cut!  Go for it, Brigit-Carol.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 711
Points 11,205

I agree with Quiltless.  The Darker is great.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use