Top 10 Posters

Do I need more contrast in this colour combo?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400
Brigit-Carol Posted: Thu, Apr 24 2014 10:05 AM

I'd like to make a quilt for my newly found sister and she likes purple and blue, and loves unicorn.  So I found this fabulous fabric, but am not sure about the hue (saturation?) of the lavender I have here.  It's from my stash, and I don't mind purchasing more fabric for this quilt.  I wonder if the unicorn blocks would stand out more with a lighter one?  I've even thought of going with white, but thought that might be too stark.  What do you think?

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 1:09 PM

I think you need more contrast.  Maybe not white , but a pale lavender maybe?  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 2,165

I'm not a "purple person", but I think your lavender on the computer matches the wings of the unicorn and would work where the white is in the pattern, with the dark for the the "boxing" strips and the unicorn in all the print squares...especially if you have enough of the unicorn fabric to semi-fussy cut the boxes to feature the unicorns.  If you're thinking of using all three fabrics for the squares, then go with a very pale lavender or a creamy tone on tone for the "background" and a very dark purple or navy for the "boxing" strips.  I've used this pattern before and it's got lots of room for interpretation.  Good luck, whatever you decide, and congrats on reestablishing an important relationship!

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,537
Points 417,079
gini replied on Thu, Apr 24 2014 1:55 PM

I agree with stitcheraz

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Fri, Apr 25 2014 8:59 AM

If ever in doubt, snap a photo and print  it in black and white. This shows the contrast, or lack thereof.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Thanks everyone.  I attended a quilt show in Brownwood, TX today and also went by Walmart, but couldn't find anything lighter.  I'm just so not a purple person, that I probably won't like any hue or shade anyway!  I will just go with what I have, since trying to find something lighter on-line hasn't panned out either.

And to answer someone's question, the unicorn fabric is for the squares, the blue replaces the narrow dark stripe in the pattern pic and the lavender replaces the white. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 2,165

You should be fine with that.  Have fun.

stitcheraz

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 940
Points 15,910

I would add some red.  Love how red contrasts blues and purples.  I am going to make a great Red Hat.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,681
Points 179,378
Marie replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 7:17 AM

Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam:
I am going to make a great Red Hat.

mamag, do you belong to the Red Hat Society?

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 2,165

Brigit-Carol,

There is a two-part program on Sewing With Nancy, I think called Sew Big Quilt Blocks, that uses your pattern.  There's good advice on setting your layout...especially important so your unicorns aren't upside down or sideways.  It's a rerun on this week and next in my area, but you can also find it on the internet.

stitcheraz

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Points 2,165

http://wpt.org/SewingWithNancy/Video?field_swn_topics_tid=All&combine=sew+big+blocks&field_swn_premiere_date_value%5Bvalue%5D%5Byear%5D=&items_per_page=12 Brigit-Carol,

Here's the link...if the long doesn't work, just go to wpt.org/SewingWithNancy/Video and put Sew Big Blocks into the search box and the two parts will come up.

Hope this helps.

stitcheraz

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Thanks, Stitcheraz -- I bookmarked them to watch later.

Mama - I'm lousy at choosing colours, but when I finish the inner part, I'll be back for bordering ideas.  I had planned on a narrow white inner border, but might look at dark red.  At any rate, this will be a birthday present for my sister in October so I have plenty of time to get it done.

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,933
Points 33,660
Roxana replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 11:13 AM

Brigit-Carol:

...  I will just go with what I have, since trying to find something lighter on-line hasn't panned out either. ...

Brigit-Carol, I know you said you were going to go with what you had but you also mentioned that you had plenty of time. I have some online fabric shops that will allow me to send them a swatch of my fabric that i am trying to match and then they will match the color as I want to. They usually call me and let me look at the fabrics online while we are on the phone and they can describe the color match to me. Just another idea.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 940
Points 15,910

Marie not yet I want to but I can'r remember what the age is to become one and I don't have a sponsor either.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 686
Points 11,805
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Apr 26 2014 10:40 PM

Brigit-Carol, 

I love the purple you have now, actually I was going to suggest going a tad darker. I have a great quilt store by my home that has a ton of batiks, if you wanted me to find "the" fabric for you send me a cut square ( so you don't lose any fabric) and I will find the right color for you...I will send cut fabric back to you as well.

PM me if you want my help. I am sure I have missed the talk as I don't read all the post, but I am happy you found your sister.      

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use