Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 14,190
Carol from Pittsburgh Posted: Sun, Apr 20 2014 5:13 PM

My sister emailed this to me. I don't know where she found it. According to this, I certainly don't do it right when I sit down to sew!

"Advice From A Singer Sewing Manual From 1949

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do... Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference predominates.   Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so that your mind is free to enjoy your sewing. When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband will come home, and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing."

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 108
Points 2,635
Donna C replied on Sun, Apr 20 2014 5:28 PM

So funny.  It makes me think of all the times I've sat down to sew with my nightgown on, and my DH even has taken a picture of me quilting at the machine with a "not very modest" nighty on.  :D   Oh, well.  Now I'll think better of that!  :)  Actually my mom, bless her soul, was from that era, and really tried to live up to that, too...Well, she did a pretty good job of having the housework done before sitting down to sew, but she really wasn't a person who liked to primp.  I guess that's where I get it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,316
Points 18,480

HAHAHA  I love this!  Too funny.  Oh, and it seems that I've NEVER sewn correctly.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,965

That's it , that's why I couldn't concentrate today on sewing! Pjs on, no lipstick, and I still haven't combed my hair!  I'll be darned!!  This is so funny!! Thanks for sharing!

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 822
Points 13,495

That Singer manual cracks me up. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 289
Points 4,710

Oh lordy! This takes me back to watching Leave it to Beaver on tv...  June Cleaver, always dressed in a fresh "housedress" or something fancy with pearls, never a hair out of place! Powder and lipstick? hahaha... this is so funny!  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 222
Points 3,640

Thanks Carol now I have one of the reasons why I have such a hard time with points at times. I can blame dirty dishes when they don't match up.  LOL

Kerry G

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 822
Points 13,495

I know right.  Can you imagine?  I get the neat part cause I'm OCD. But the other parts not so much.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 10,945
zoetc49 replied on Sun, Apr 20 2014 9:58 PM

That was great !! I read something in a cookbook from that time period, I wish I could find that but I think it said something about making sure your husband was well cared for and make sure you entertain his Boss when he brings him by, I just recall laughing at that.

Thanks Carol   : )    

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Carol, thanks for sharing this.

I have seen this on Facebook. 

My closest quilty friend is sure that the lipstick and powder is what our problem is some days.

I never wear lipstick and rarely the powder.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,542
Points 177,608
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 7:05 AM

Too funny Carol.  Now I know why I'm not productive.  I'm going to pause now to get dressed, make my bed and clean the kitchen.  Tell you what happens after I've done that.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,542
Points 177,608
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 8:20 AM

Well, here I am back, did my chores, got dressed, combed my hair but no lipstick.  Save that for when I go out somewhere.  Sitting here waiting for the quilting genie to zap some quilty inspiration into me.  Wait, is that her I hear?  Oh no, she's pointing at me and laughing her "posterior" off!  I'm doomed to waste another day away!  HELP!

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 475
Points 9,255
Pat A replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 4:08 PM

That is just too funny.  it reminds me of the day when we would put on our stockings, high heels, suit, gloves and hat to go shopping.  And don't you dare go out wearing shorts.  You don' twant  people to think you are trashy (my Mom).  Oh the good old days. 

Bless her heart, my Mom who turned 100 in Feb. always wore a nice housedress, hair was permed and highheels even doing the laundry,  and got us all dressed up to go shopping. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 595
tish replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 9:58 PM
Ha. I read that to my DH yesterday. Today he said to me that he guessed I wasn't going to sew today because my "chores" were not done yet and I wasn't dressed up enough. tish
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 283
Points 4,305

Carol, thanks for sharing.  I needed a good laugh.  Those were the good old times???? When women had to cater to their spouse?  Have dinner on the table, have the house cleaned, be bathed and dressed nice and all that while the kids were underfoot?    No  wonder that my DH has hearing loss.  When he came home from work the kids were arguing, the dogs barking, but I dinner ready and we ate and prayed together.

Marianne

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use