Restoring/repairing a well used, old quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 85
Gramigran posted on Sun, Apr 20 2014 11:13 AM

A friend has given me a very old and well used quilt to try and restore.
I know on a valuable quilt it is advised to try and follow original pattern and stitches as much as possible. 
The backing is very ragged, I have started just removing the top from the back. It is all hand stitched. My question is do you think I should take apart block (about 20") and restore it block by block?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
425 Posts
Points 9,215
Pamela replied on Sun, Apr 20 2014 11:48 AM

I guess it depends on your purpose in restoring it. From an appraisal point of view, the changes that you make to a quilt may decrease the value as an antique. Minor repairs in stitching are not usually a problem, but adding in a new piece of fabric to replace a torn one will. So, if you are merely repairing to use it as a quilt, fixing it block by block is a good idea. But, if you are looking at it from a value standpoint, major repairs change it from an antique to a modern day quilt. And, the changes must be stated when valuing it.

Other than cleaning a quilt and making minor repairs, I prefer to leave old quilts in their old state.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 85

RE: Membership

I mailed a check for my premium membership on April 4th. As yest I still do not have access to my benefits, which I miss! How much longer before my membership is renewed.

Thank you,

Patricia Bennett

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 85

PamelA, 

i AM SORRY. I was doing two things at once and didn't see where I was sending my membership message. 

Please disregard. 

As to the quilt. It is not being done for value. There is no way it could be used without repairing. The young lady that it belongs to wants to be able to put it on her bed.  If you can see the photo's it is pretty tattered and torn. I am just trying to replace damaged pieces and make a new dresden plate where the ones are missing. 

Thank you for your advice.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use