Joining pieces of batting

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,527
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:40 AM

I have started using a light weight iron-on stabilizer to join pieces of batting together.  It's similar idea of the new product on the market b ut much cheaper.  I cut about 2" wide piece in the length I need.  Cut straight edges of batting.  Put batting lined up on top of stabilizer and press according to directions.  It makes the batting stable and easy to sew thru when needed and no sticky messing up needles.

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Fri, Feb 18 2011 9:23 AM

Diana

That is a geat tip.  I am lazy and don't join my pieces of batting.  I just butt the edges together and spray baste to the quilt back.  So far I have never had a problem.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MargeD replied on Tue, Mar 1 2011 1:20 PM

I have been joining pieces of batting for several years now without a problem.  If the pieces are not straight (and most aren't) I cut the pieces with an older rotary cutter which I have designated just for cutting batting and using my quilting ruler.  I then butt the pieces up together and sew together using a wide zig zag stitch and a longer stitch length.  This method works great, especially with cotton batting, which I use almost exclusively because I am a machine quilter.  If the pieces don't want to butt up together evenly, then slightly overlap the two pieces and recut, using a ruler and rotary cutter, then zig-zag together.  If you go at a medium speed and don't pull on the batting, it should lay flat.  Hope this works as well for you as it has for me.  MargeD

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
barbarag-8 replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:49 AM

Sharon,     I was having the same trouble with the batting not coming out even at the end.      I found extremely fine  "Knit Interfacing"  that is  1 and  1/4" wide -   It is IRON ON and very light weight .  To sew,  I use a zig-zag stitch lengthened - right over the tape.  Goes on evenly and  your batting comes out even.   There is no problem with sewing once it is ironed on.    The roll comes in a 25 food roll and only cost  50 cents.      I can now use all of my excess batting up.  By the way,  I picked this up at my mega quilting store.   Hope you can find it in your area.    Barb  G

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 808
Points 12,404
Joan L. replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 2:39 PM

Hi Barb, I see this is your first post. Welcome to QCA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,504
Points 417,409
gini replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 4:42 PM

welcome barbara     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 80
Points 2,295
Jane replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:02 PM

I just used a product called batting seam tape and it worked great.  You butt edges of batting and iron this this web like material.  time will truly be the test, but for now it looks and feels great.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,504
Points 417,409
gini replied on Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:10 PM

and hello to marge d and mary f    welcome     gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 90

I use 2" strips of fusible tricot. It's the same idea as heat and press tape but i find it adheres better.

I do use a press cloth but have never had the join separate. I can lift the batting nd place it on my quilting machine very easily.

You can but fusible tricot at JoAnn's, usually, but I get the 60" width from www.silhouettepatterns.com.

Its about $24.00 for 5 yds. Get a pkg for you group and share. It's cheaper than the 10 yd rolls of Heat and press either way you purchase.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Pat M replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 7:27 AM

I am going to try this today!  I need to get a quilt sandwiched asap and haven't a place to find the new item.  I have an idea that this will be just what I am looking for.

Pat in NM

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use