Top 10 Posters

Block Rockit Midarm

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
32 Posts
Points 725
redfish21 posted on Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:03 AM

I have been looking for a few years about getting a frame with a longarm. As everyone knows these are EXPENSIVE. Kathy Quilts have just put out a new midarm which seem to be getting wonderful reviews. The price is great. I joined the Yahoo group and those who got it love it. My fear is this is new on the market. Should I go for this or continue to look?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110

Alison,

I just order the Block RockiT and I'm so excited!  What type of thread to use?  Lynn told me to use only 100% cotton.  I've used Glide thread which I absolutely love on my other machine. 

Thanks,

Linda

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,240 Posts
Points 19,255

gizmokozak:
I just order the Block RockiT and I'm so excited! 
Great news on your new machine. How long before you get it?

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Points 725

I have heard the same of Glide. Being new myself I just ordered a thread from different makers and sizes so that I can try it out for myself. As far as what Lynn told you many don't agree. I have been using poly, 40wt Isacord and it looks good. Look at QNN which we get free as part of our membership. The show "Quilt It" has quite a bit of advice about thread. Also check out Youtube. 

Part of the fun, to me, is trying all these threads so go for everything and enjoy.

I am truly excited for you on buying the Rockit. It took me a few weeks and many mistakes to get everything right. All the mistakes were on my part as never having sewn with a long arm or on a frame. Once I got it figured out all the problems went away. I LOVE my machine. Let me know what you think. You will want to join the Yahoo group set up for this machine. Just type in Yahoo groups into your search engine and once there type in Block Rockit. This will show you the joys and problems others have had and what was done to fix it. This group was my support, along with Lynn, when learning the machine.

Enjoy.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 5

I almost bought a blockrockit, and I did belong to the blockrockit yahoo group for a while.

First, I have been a customer of Kathy Quilts in the past, and always happy with the service. I wanted to make sure that is said up front.

However, this was my experience with the blockrockit: I pre ordered in December, and put up a deposit. In March I receieved a phone call that the machine would be shipped "next week". For a while "next week" seemed to always be the answer, but this time I was assured of the shipping date, so I gave my credit card number and also ordered some accessories.

I was surprised that my credit card was immediately charged the full balance, even for the accessoris that were going to be shipped  "next month".

Shipping day came and went. I heard nothing, so assumed it had been shipped.  I inquired, and was told it was delayed. Another "next week". I try to be a responsible consumer, and this just didn't sit right. I cancelled my order and was given a full refund. That was months before the first machine actually was shipped. 

The blockrockit may be an excellent machine. And Kathy Quilts are certainly good dealers and seem to be honest dealers. But this is a one-dealer show, and it's clear from the start up that they are working their way through the change from dealer to manufacturer. I think that, if they had been upfront from the start and told everyone "looks like 6-8 months" I still would have put up a deposit and waited. But they took full price for machines and accessories that they didn't have available to ship, and they kept taking money from people when they knew the machines and accessories weren't ready to go, and that's just not good business. I understand that people are still waiting for those accessories (rear handles) and when they do get shipped the machine will need a firmware update to accomodate. IMHO, the launch of this machine was premature.

So, it's a case of you pays your money and you takes your chances. This machine may (and I hope will) be the wave of the future. Or it may be an orphan machine whose demise was caused by good intentions but poor business model.

Now, I know that the yahoo blockrockit group are dedicated fans. Most machine-specific groups are like that, we don't like hear any criticism. But sewers are also consumers and I think it's fair to hear, and to be comfortably voicing, all experiences. 

Judithan

Not Ranked
32 Posts
Points 725

According to Lynn of Kathy Quilts there is no back order on the machines themselves. We are waiting on the back handles and ruler base. Both should be out this month but when you are dealing with a new product it may take longer. We are being taught patience. 

Still love my machine.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 5

I also pre-ordered my BlockRockiT in December. Yes, its was a long wait until my machine arrived, but I knew there would be a waiting period when I ordered. I was only charged half the cost of the machine and accessories at that point.

Part of the delay in receiving my machine was the fact that a problem was found with the machine belt during testing (they were running the machines around the clock for weeks) and they were waiting for the replacement belt so they could change them before shipping the machines. I appreciate that Kathy Quilts chose to delay shipping the machines and having us change the belt later.

According to some info Lynn posted yesterday, there is no wait on the machines now and all accessories, except the ruler base, are shipping this week. Yay! (The ruler base is supposed to ship around 6/15.)

I was new to long-arm quilting so I had a larger learning curve. Most of my glitches were with my frame that need straightening and leveling and just learning to use a long arm.

I love the machine, and have been frantically working on a quilt top over the weekend so I can play some more. Yes, I got impatient waiting for my machine to arrive, but I'm so glad I waited.

It's my understanding that the BlockRockit got good reviews at the quilt shows, even from the other machine companies.

Someone asked about thread: I've been practicing with Coats and Clark's cotton quilting thread. I know, it's cheap thread but I had no problems with it other than lint.

Someone else asked about what size quilt you can quilt: it depends on your frame. :)

Jodie

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

too bad this isn't at least capable of 12 to 13 inches uninterrupted..A friend of ours just set up her new BR and while she is over-all thrilled, But I could tell that she was already regretting this shortfall in  span... I think I may keep looking for a deal on an 18 or 20 inch harp

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
940 Posts
Points 15,910

So for the people who have one. Do you like love & recommend this machine. 

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 25

seems a little too new, but there is a lot of buzz....need the competition.  I have been looking for a good deal for a year, this sounds enticing... but... I want 18 inches... I would "outgrow" a 14 inch...A 14 inch machine seems suitable for block work on smaller quilts.... larger quilts over 72 inches may get a larger roll and need to be turned and over lapping block work is easier on a longer arm.   (26 is great but 18 is a good home compromise.)    It should not cost more than $100  to add 4 inches of material (industrial cost accountant by trade) as a good manufacture should be able to make both sizes of exactly the same machine on one production line.... Kathy, if your reading these... that's how you keep it inexpensive.  

Not Ranked
32 Posts
Points 725

I have had my Block Rockit for a few months now and love it. I really wanted a 17" but it was just not in the budget. I have a good 10" of workable space with this and so far this has worked fine. This has a lot of bells and whistles for the money. I guess it comes down to being willing to cut a few inches off of workable space or spend big bucks. Good luck finding the machine that is right for you.

Alison

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50
Suggested by weezee56

I just got my Block rockit and having problems getting it setup.  Right now I could use help with tension (I think) also it will not stitch from the bobbin.  Do you have any ideas of what I can do?  I am so frustrated and could use any help.  THANK YOU

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,240 Posts
Points 19,255
Answered (Not Verified) weezee56 replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 10:05 AM
Suggested by weezee56

BKoeneman:
I just got my Block rockit and having problems getting it setup.  Right now I could use help with tension (I think) also it will not stitch from the bobbin.  Do you have any ideas of what I can do?  I am so frustrated and could use any help.  THANK YOU

I would call Lynn at Kathyquilts and have him walk you throught the set up.

Top 50 Contributor
2,912 Posts
Points 40,960
ls2116 replied on Tue, Aug 12 2014 2:48 PM

I'm still having tiara dreams and don't know much about blocl rockit.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
32 Posts
Points 725

Go to Yahoo group "blockrockit". You will see many of us had tension problems until we got it all figured out. Also, Call Lynn at Kathy Quilts. He will always walk you through any problem. On youtube there is a video on long arm tension done by Jamie Whallen. Last name may be spelled wrong but I am sure you can find it. It takes a bit to get this where it needs to be. Once you have it down it will become easy. Can't wait for you to be sewing the day away.

Alison

Top 100 Contributor
Female
903 Posts
Points 17,115

If you are having trouble with the bobbin tension, I'd suggest getting a TOWA bobbin tension gauge. I use one for my longarm and it makes such a difference in the stitches! There's also a gauge for the top tension but I don't have that.

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use