New from Grand Prairie, TX

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
robynanne Posted: Tue, Apr 15 2014 6:19 AM

Hi.  My name is Robyn and i have been quilting for seven months.  I have completed on by hand and one by sewing maching.  I have taken two classes and at this point i am getting frustrated.  I am beginning to think that maybe this is not for me.  Hopefully, I have to come the right place to learn and get help.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Welcome Robyn! What exactly is frustrating you?  This is a wonderful resource site! So many helpful, caring ladies. This site has so much to offer. Ask anything! You will get more than enough answers!   Tell us more ok?

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
robynanne replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 10:04 AM

one thing...i bought a real cute dog kit and for the life of me i and my husband could not figure our why the measurements were off...after five blocks and beating our head the pettern did not include the 1/4" seam...once we added that everything worked...makes me nervous about another kit.

i just completed my second class and my quilt top wouldn't go together...the instructor was not sure what happened...we measured my cuts and looked at my machine, which is new, and she threw her arms up in the air...

quilting is something i have always wanted to do...now i find myself watching utube videos and buying books...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,393
Marie replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 10:39 AM

robynanne:
i just completed my second class and my quilt top wouldn't go together...the instructor was not sure what happened...we measured my cuts and looked at my machine, which is new, and she threw her arms up in the air...

Sounds like you need a new instructor, Robyn.

robynanne:
now i find myself watching utube videos and buying books...

That may be the better source.  I'm a visual learner and I find Utube and Craftsy  classes are better for me.  

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Robyn, have you taken a beginners quilting class?  These are on utube or Craftsy too, even Joann's has them. Once you learn the basics, like the 1/4 in seam, fabric grains, cutting techniques, heck even proper folds of fabric and what things are called help!  I don't know your background in sewing so forgive me if you already know all the basics. But when I started many years ago, I didn't even know how to use a  sewing machine, let alone the basics. I took one class and that was all I needed, just some basic rules and directions, then I graduated to books, magazines, Craftsy and utube! You can find anything on utube! I am a visual person also.  So seeing it then practicing it helped me.  Basic tools of quilting also make for a lower frustration level.  If you take a class or ask quilt shop folks and they throw their hands up. Then Marie is right, they are not the correct one to ask.  Simple patterns are best to start with. Just to get the basics down, cutting, sewing, measuring, ironing, the small stuff, but you have to have this foundation before you can proceed. We will all try to help and point you to links that can help you.  May we know more about you? And exactly your level of experience with sewing?   

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 60
robynanne replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 11:13 AM

i have been sewing on and off for a few years...maybe i just need to get my technique down...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,889
gini replied on Wed, Apr 16 2014 1:37 AM

hi robyn, welcome to the group.   patterns and kits are often not well written or supplied.  it might not be your fault.  it is rea;;u frustrating for experienced quilters, too.  having the right tools helps and pattern selection makes a difference too.  let us know what pattern you would like to do next and we will  help  walk you through it.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 340

Robyn, welcome! I'm in Bryan so hello fellow Texan!

That definitely sounds frustrating. I learned through a variety of methods. I looked through several quilting books and found one that I clicked with. I really liked Elizabeth Hartman's "The Practical Guide to Patchwork."  I also watched a lot of Youtube videos as well. 

Starting out can be frustrating but it does get easier and practice makes perfect. Maybe try something like a nine patch quilt or something made from 5" squares (charms) to start with.

Good luck!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 782
Points 12,635

Robyn don't give up.  I'm new to machine quilting.  My grandmother taught me how to hand quilt so I'm just getting used to machine quilting.  What machine do you have?  I have Brother machines and I found it helpful to get the 1/4" piece foot with the guide.  My eyesight isn't good so the guide makes it simple to have accurate seams.  Also don't get so hung up on having it perfect it gives your quilt character.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 782
Points 12,635

I forgot to mention that the Craftsy Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quilt making Skills with Gail Kessler FREE class is wonderful.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use