Top 10 Posters

Walking Foot Verses a Stitch in the Ditch foot.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 215
ROBINH2 posted on Mon, Apr 14 2014 4:57 PM

Can anyone give me there opinion about what foot would be better to use when doing a quilt using the stitch in the ditch method. I am now stitching using a walking foot. I am finding it hard to use the walking foot when stitching around little squares and lines. My top and bottom of the quilt is cotton. I don't remember what my batting is. I believe it is a cotton mix of about a 1/8 or a little more thick. The size is that of a lap quilt or wall hanging. This is my first quilt so I am clueless of what to do. 

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
149 Posts
Points 2,545
Beth replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 5:30 PM

I may not be an expert, as I have only been quilting for a few years, but what i have found is when I am stitching in the ditch, I use my 1/4 inch foot rather than my walking foot…no matter what you use, don't try and rush it, go slow, stay in the ditch and just enjoy the journey….that is what makes it so rewarding :)! Hope this helps!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

RobinH

I find that my walking foot is so much better when stitching layers as they don't shift. But if your area is too small it can be a challenge. 

Perhaps use your regular foot and lower the pressure?  And, maybe lengthen your stitch a bit. Like Beth says, take your time. You also may want to use more pins so your layers aren't as likely to shift.

Layer some scraps and see what works for you.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,504 Posts
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 5:54 PM

Robin, I don't know what machine you have but I got a stitch-in-the-ditch foot for my pfaff machine and one came with my babylock machine.  You might want to look into that if you are having difficulty

Ginny

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 215

Thank you so much for the information you gave me. It gave me a good idea.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
710 Posts
Points 11,140

Thanks ladies for this info I found these tips helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use