Top 10 Posters

Keeping your Quilt Block in the Order you want them.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,251
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 8:56 PM

Marie--thanks. The young man is my one and only grandchild. He is now 15. He was somewhere from 6 to 8 at the time. Just remembered. He couldn't use the quilt for sleeping because "it was too noisy." I had used the craft movable eyes on the fish.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,017
Points 15,535
weezee56 replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 9:18 PM

I also label my blocks, I bought the flower head pins. I label them 1-1, 1-2,1-3. First # is the row and the second # is the block, moving left to right. I too have a problem keeping them straight from the wall to the machine.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 688
Points 10,725

Wow we all have great tips.  Love it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 6:56 AM

Agnes:
Just remembered. He couldn't use the quilt for sleeping because "it was too noisy." I had used the craft movable eyes on the fish.

Too funny, Agnes.  Hope it quieted down for him over the years.  :  )

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Once I have my blocks in the piles in the proper order, I chain piece each column.

Row 1 pieces 1 and 2, row 2 pieces 1 and 2 to the end of the column.

I pick up the pile for piece 3 and chain them onto piece 3.

I continue this until the entire quilt is chain pieced together. 

When it comes time to join the rows, I don't need to worry about flipping a row because everything is chained together. 

Hope this makes sense to everyone.  It has proven to be a tremendous help for me.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

gini:

No videos, and it' too involved to describe.   Works great, though

Gini, Bonnie Hunter uses a set-up similar to yours, but she doesn't put the first two rows on her chest.  Neither do I as they fall off -- I just don't have enough to keep them there! :)

Here's the link:  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/webbing-top-or-how-to-chain-stitch.html

Brigit-Carol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Tue, Apr 15 2014 5:57 PM

I take pictures of mine also as a guide! I also stack my rows then chain piece them together. 

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 110
Shar replied on Wed, Apr 16 2014 9:46 PM

Perfect Debbie...I've been teaching quilting for 10 years and this is how I teach block assembly.  

By using BOTH numbers and letters there is always the ability to check and be certain the correct blocks are being sewn together.  After all blocks are labeled, all can be stacked...sewn into pairs...easily re-stacked,...pairs sewn together...soon rows are complete.  All the while, knowing that all same "letters" belong in the same row and blocks are numerically next to each other.  No accidental wandering of blocks!  Oh and we pin tags to the TOP of each block...no blocks turned the wrong way either.

The little extra time to do this can save so many moments of frustration.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 688
Points 10,725

Shar and a lot less seam ripping.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 110
Shar replied on Thu, Apr 17 2014 7:19 AM

Yes, forgot that part... definitely less "frogging"...rip-it, rip-it! (LOL) for everyone.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,251
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Thu, Apr 17 2014 10:27 AM

I also always have the label at the top left hand corner of the block. After piecing the blocks into rows the label is a good help for pressing. Even # block seams get pressed to the right. Odd #' rows get pressed to the left unless seam lines in the block indicate a different pressing pattern.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 688
Points 10,725

Boy do we all have some good  I think its funny in a good way.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use