Top 10 Posters

Keeping your Quilt Block in the Order you want them.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 802
Points 12,980
Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam Posted: Sat, Apr 12 2014 9:11 PM

I don't know about you but once I have finished with all my blocks and have them in the order I want them in on my quilt wall, I have a heck of a time keeping them in that order when I need to sew.  So instead of the little round labels or post-its that everyone else likes to use I use the photo/scrapbook corner labels.  This way I can put them in the corners of the blocks and number them.  Yes they are more expensive than most labels but they don't leave glue on your fabric like the other labels do sometimes.  This helps me hope it helps you.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Great tip! Thank you!

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 8:59 AM

Never thought of using those. Good tip. Some years ago I had just had it with post it notes as labels. I spent quite a bit of time making my labels but I persevered and they are good for life. I cut squares from plastic, could be container lids but I used large sheets of lexar or templar. I then punched two holes into them, for the pins to hold the plastic in place on the fabric. and printed  the number labels with the label maker. I store them in numerical order in a metal tin, always ready at moment's notice. I also made another smaller set with cardstock, numbers on master sheet on the computer, and ran the natural row/block number progression for diagonally set quilts. I strung these on metal shower curtain rings and these have only one hole for the pin. Actually prefer the card stock style.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,305
MizPat replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 4:27 PM

I've tried most of the ideas, from post-its to labels. Post-its don't always stick and labels sometimes stick too well. I now use plastic pin-on tags. I bought two sets, one with row and block number printed on them i.e. Row 1 Block 1. The other set has the words Row and Block printed, with a space to write in the row and block numbers for quilts that need more than the number of tags in the pre-printed tags. They have a hole in the top for a pin to hold the tag to the quilt block.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 8:40 PM

I have a method of stacking the blocks so I don't need any markers , I just put them in an organized pile.  I'll see if I can find a video.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 8:49 PM

No videos, and it' too involved to describe.   Works great, though

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 8:23 AM

Gini--I can put my blocks in an organized fashion but I have a habit of twisting them when I pick them up and more often than not sewing the wrong side and throwing my plan off. I stopped in the middle of design layout to make permanent type labels when I was doing a fish testalation type design.that required diagonal setting. It was labels or the loony farm. I choose labels.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,861
Points 32,300
Roxana replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 8:36 AM

I used to use labels but now I just take a picture with my digital phone and print it out on regular copy paper. I then punk the blocks up carefully by row and sew using the photo as my guide. It's easier for me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 288
Points 4,705

I do the same thing, Roxana, but using my digital camera, and it works well for me. If need be, I will even do close-ups, divided into quadrants, so there's no mistaking the layout and correct positioning for sewing.  kathy 

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,093
Points 29,530
Ramona replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 10:59 AM

I stack my rows up in the order of sewing. I mark the first block of the row with a piece of a sticky not pinned on and an arrow in the direction I am to sew. That way I don't accidently turn the stack before I get to my machine.  I need all the help I can get. 

Quilton, Ramona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 802
Points 12,980

I'm like Agnes know matter how much I keep them stacked in order somehow I turn and twist them so I have to label them.  The camera idea sounds great.  I'll have to try it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,586
Points 47,680
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 2:00 PM

gini:

No videos, and it' too involved to describe.   Works great, though

LOL Gini

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,586
Points 47,680
Debbie-do replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 2:03 PM

I have little pieces of paper that I pin to the blocks  ... 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a, 1b, 2b, 3b, 4b etc  The number represent the block placement in the row and the letter is the row... or vice versa as long as it's consistant.  As I get a row sewn together I take all but the first tag off so I don't stick myself as often :)

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 2:39 PM

Debbie-do:
I have little pieces of paper that I pin to the blocks  ... 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a, 1b, 2b, 3b, 4b etc 

My labels are 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 etc. The attached quilt is the one that had to have labels. Photo wouldn't have even done it for me. The fishes tail pieces are part of the fish above and below the body, all diagonal set.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 4:43 PM

Agnes, love your fish quilt!  Who's the handsome young man in the pic?

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use