rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:01 PM

Nana,

How about getting 2 more gradations of grey. 

The top row of your border for L to R would be dark grey i, then mid grey and then the grey you have, mid grey and then dark grey.  Continue the sequence around the border.  The corners of your border would be dark and the light grey would be in the centre of your border.    You could then use the mid grey for blocks in the centre of the quilt.  Hope this makes sense.  Too bad you didn't have enough for 8 blocks as that would have opened up some other opportunities.  Good luck

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:11 PM

Eileen

Yes the center portion of each star is SnW.   And I don't have enough to do borders large enough.  Still thinking.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:14 PM

Gini

I have found a darker grey that is the same print as the deep purple around the stars.  It is in Kaufman's line of Fusions.  I have ordered enough to be able to do the Irish Chain in dk grey around the outside.  Then I will probably bind in the deep purple.  Will just finish up the other three Irish Chains and Square off the stars while I wait on the rest of the grey.   I think it will work. Thanks for all the help.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:16 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.  I really hate it when I don't figure fabric yardage correctly before I start cutting...LOL.  That sometimes happens when I design as I go.   I had the star fabric for a very long time before I decided what I wanted to do with it.   Then I started trying to decide how I was going to set them.  Oh well it will work out.  And it will fit my bed....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:18 PM

Nana:
Oh well it will work out.  And it will fit my bed...
   and it will be beautiful, nana.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,825
Points 352,597
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:40 PM

Nana,

I can spare a yard of that CT fabric if you still want it.

Your blocks are gorgeous.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,117
Points 28,385
Wendy replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 10:57 PM

The Quilt will be Beautiful. I have the whole collecting of that fabric but only in Fat Quarters. Sorry. I need a yard of the white in that collection. I sent away for a yard of it but they sent it in the Grey shade because they ran out of the white. So I too have an unfinished project. Bummer.

Hope you find enough

Wendy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:32 PM

Kris

Thank you so much for your kind offer but after doing more figuring and counting what I had already cut it came out that I need almost 3 yds of fabric,  I found a darker gray that is in the same collection as the deep purple that surronds the stars.   Kaufman's Fusjons ... so I ordered 3 yds and will use it to do the ourter rows of the Irish Chain.  I think it  will work just fine.  It will change the appearance to light placement and hopefully the inner stars will "shine".

I really apprecialte the offer though.  Thank you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:34 PM

Wendy

Sorry but I don't have the white.  If I did you would be more than welcome to it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,825
Points 352,597
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 23 2010 11:54 PM

Nana:
I really apprecialte the offer though.  Thank you.

Anytime Nana. Just ask. Kaufman's fusion's are amazing. Can't wait to see what you chose.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,137
Points 40,875
Marilyn B replied on Sat, Mar 27 2010 6:49 PM

Nana, the quilt will be beautiful.  I love the stars.  Sorry I don't have any of the fabric but had to tell you how beautiful what you have done is.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 290

Hello from Australia........

I just looked on the equilter web site and they have a few fairy frosts in differing shades of grey.    I also favour The Virginia Quilter web sit as well. Have had success with them both.

Good Luck,

Sandra Edwards

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:09 AM

hello sandra, and welcome to qca. we're pretty nosy here, tell us a little about yourself.  what kind of quilts  do you lile to make?    those are both great sies for shopping.  enjoy your time here.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:37 AM

Welcome Sandra.  Hope you are enjoying QCA.   Judging from the Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine you have some great shops in AUS to shop from.  I love equilter and wonder if you are shopping there because of huge price differentials.  I know we should support our local quilt shops but when they are charging $17 for a batik that I can buy in the States for $8-10 it is hard to justify the price difference. And our dollar is almost at par and it has been quite awhile since it was really pathetic.  No reason IMO for the huge price discrepancy.

I think I need some cheese to go with my whine.  Please excuse me:-)

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Fri, Apr 2 2010 10:38 AM

Welcome Sandra to QCA - another member from Australia - we love that you have found us and hope you will take the time to introduce yourself - we are a nosey group!

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use