Tips

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
ktdid Posted: Thu, Apr 10 2014 1:39 PM

Biggest tip I can give is:  BE PATIENT! Be patient with yourself, with your material, your creativity! Have fun with doing every thing. If you're not it's time for a break. Take a walk. If you have a dog take him/her with you. Look around and see how marvelous this world really is! Relax. The world won't fall apart if you take a bit longer. Don't dwell on a mistake. If I did I'd never get any where! 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 179
Points 2,305
MizPat replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 4:31 PM

That's so true! Patience is the one thing I have to work at, and its the most important thing in quilting and all other aspects of life. Letting go is another hard-to-come-by trick, but so essential.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 180
Points 2,645

A tip I'd like to share  is using  "badge clips" .  They have a little strap that goes over a small dowl  rod or hanger and attaches with a snap.  I have mine on a hanger  and have used them to hang my quilting stencils. One or more can be hung on one but I like each one separate . Easier to crab just the one I want.I got mine at Walmart in the office supply area..    I like to think outside the box. I have the hobby table 36 X 60". I  the rolling drawer units underneath. Since it stays up all the time and the attached legs slide out to support the leafs [ they are in the way ] so I went to Lowes and purchased 1/2 " pipe and  flanges [ top and bottom]. You do have to be careful in measurements!! Just like in quilting!!!  I also glued felt on the bottome so as not to scratch the floor. On one end of the table I glued velcrow to keep them stable . I didn't on the other end so that I could drop the table leaf if I wanted to. As long as they are long enough the weight of the table holds them in place.This way I can put more stuff underneath. I like things to be organized.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 782
Points 12,635

Patience what's that. Oh yeah PP is teaching me that. Plus I'm getting great exercise. Sew, get up iron seam, move to cutting mat trim, back down to sew. Repeat for 8 pieces. For 48 blocks. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,842
Points 32,055
Roxana replied on Fri, Jul 18 2014 10:08 AM

Here's a tip for folding fabric for storage using comic boards (or any other board). I thought it was helpful. The comic boards are acid free and easy to come by on Amazon.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,904
gini replied on Fri, Jul 18 2014 11:25 AM

I use a 24 x8 1/2"  ruler to wrap my fabric around, slide out the ruler and fold the fabric in half.   I can get a good estimate of how many yards there are by counting the folds.  I lay these flat folds on top of each other, color sorted of course.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Fri, Jul 18 2014 1:28 PM

Gini--Do the same as you but use 24 x 6" ruler. For FQs I use the 18 x 3" ruler.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,904
gini replied on Sat, Jul 19 2014 12:52 AM

i didn't think about using the 3" er for fat quarters, thanks agnes

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:25 AM

Patience is a big key to quilting and anything in life... I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

One tip that comes in handy for me is to read my instructions twice - I don't just jump in anymore and if something doesn't make sense in the directions that the person wrote for their pattern I try to figure it out ahead of time.

Then when I go to cut fabric - I measure - and if it is a long piece I put a pin there - then I measure again and make sure the pin is correct before i cut... I alway measure look at the pattern to make sure what I am seeing is correct... my eyes aren't what they used to be and 1 1/4 can look like 1 3/4 easily - that is remedied though but when you cut 1 1/4 when you were supposed to be cutting 1 3/4 - you scream at yourself... 

So I check and recheck my work now... and that comes from having started to learn Patience...

My diseases help with patience too - no more burning the candle at both ends...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use