Top 10 Posters

Stitch length for attaching binding

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
293 Posts
Points 4,535
Mary789 posted on Thu, Apr 10 2014 1:16 PM

Is using 3.0 length stitches a good idea for attaching binding to the quilt sandwich?  I am using the walking foot.  Or, should I still use the 2.5 stitch length?  I can't believe I am finally at this point on my MQ6!

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
356 Posts
Points 27,260

Mary, I do not adjust my stitch length when attaching binding. 

Not saying this is right or wrong.  Just this is what I do.

Good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

I don't  adjust mine either. A basting stitch is used by some to secure your quilt sandwich together. But securing your binding requires a strong stitch, you don't want it pulling from your top with use. So a regular 2.5 is good.  

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 90
Suggested by weezee56

Hi I'm broomie,  Just recently joined.  Have a question.  Can I machine stitch both sides of my binding by stitching in the ditch or something?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,247 Posts
Points 19,500

I always machine stitch both sides of my binding. I stitch from the back first, then turn quilt over and stitch the from the front. There is a video From MSQC showing what I do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVA05MxXTU

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

Good video weezee! Thanks for sharing . I use Sharon Shamber binding an angel technique. It's on utube also.  I've done this for years.  I take several short cuts with it! But I never hand sew, hurts my hand.  Bindings always look great.  Just another option for you, if you want the sewn down binding on the back.   Good luck

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

Here's the link to the utube video I use for Binding.  www.youtube.com/user/SharonSchamberNet

MODESTO, CA.
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,117 Posts
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 3:12 PM

Mary789,

I do use the 3.0 on the stitch length when attaching binding and I use my quarter inch foot. The 3.0 allows the thickness of the quilt to move a bit more free and not push the fabric so bad. The is just enough difference in the 2.5 and 3.0 to allow this but not enough to compromise the credibility of the stitches by them being too far apart.  I give my binding a wee bit of a tug keeping it snug to the quilt as I stitch. Just don't tug too much. Keeping your binding nice and smooth. Too much of a tug and it'll make your edge wavy. 

broomie,

Yes, you can attach your binding by stitching in the ditch. I prefer to hand stitch mine. Just my preference.  It's your quilt so whichever works best for you. 

Thanks for the video weezee56.

QUILTON,    Ramona

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,247 Posts
Points 19,500

Candis, thank you for the link, I'll watch this one and see if it is easier. I like the saying work smarter not harder.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use