Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
cpaq13 Posted: Wed, Apr 9 2014 1:00 PM

Hi all.

I am new to quilting and so anxious to get started!  I do have a question already tho. I have a bunch of scrubs, from my years in healthcare, that I'd like to make into a quilt. The fabric is 65% polyester 35% cotton. Can I use 100% cotton fabric with this blend to make my quilt? What about the batting and backing? Would welcome any advice, tips, hints, etc in getting this together. Haven't decided on a pattern quite yet. So much to choose from!!! And being a beginner, it may take awhile.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Wed, Apr 9 2014 4:23 PM

hi cpaq, welcome to the group.   you can use nearly anything to make a quilt.  if you are going to mix your scrubs with cottons I would prewash the cottons to shrink them.    the scrubs will not shrink up any more and you want the fabrics to match, shrink-wise.  other than that you should be good to go.  

batting,  you need to decide what weight you want.  do you  want a heavier quilt or a throw-type quilt.  do you want a flat look or a puffy look.  that is how you determine what batt to use, how do you want your quilt to look. 

backing, nearly anything would work.   I tend to stick with cotton  when working,  it doesn't give you as much trouble.    the poly blend and cotton will wear at different rates.  I don't know that this is a big issue.  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795

First of all, welcome cpaq, I too am in the Medical profession. I have I bet 100  Print, beautiful scrub jackets. I am saving them to make a quilt someday, too pretty, and expensive to throw out.  Gini, thank you for answering that question, even though I should know the answer, it just didn't come to me!  Now I also will wash any other fabric I use with my jackets.   Hummm. Unless I use the scrubs, the solid ones I gave in every freakin color!   Great idea cpaq!  I have made a quilt for a surgeon before, using his scrub caps, he collected them, but not scrubs!  Thanks to you both for that lightbulb moment!!   

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,731
Points 29,970
Roxana replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 2:18 PM

Welcome cpaq13! You'll love being on QCA. Let us know if you have any questions about the site. Several of us have been here for awhile and love to help. I also love reading about what everyone if doing. So much inspiration here!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use