Top 10 Posters

Fat quarter vs quarter yard

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
Pupgal64 posted on Mon, Apr 7 2014 11:50 PM

I'm "newish" to quilting and have a question about patterns that ask for a fat quarter.  I don't have a lot of fat quarters, but I do have a lot of quarter yard cuts.  If a pattern asks for a fat quarter can I use a quarter yard cut instead?  

Many thanks for you help!!

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,313 Posts
Points 18,420

a fat quarter is half of a quarter yard; It is 18" x 22". so yes you can use yardage.  Happy quilting!

EDIT:  Oh my goodness- yes, I worded it incorrectly! That's what I get for posting in the middle of the night, half asleep. I am sorry!  

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
708 Posts
Points 13,780

A quarter yard piece is 9" X 44". A fat quarter is 18" X 22".  There may be a difference in cutting the pieces if you use a quarter yard instead of a fat quarter. If your pattern calls for a fat quarter cut into a 2 1/2" strip, for example, you will have a strip that is 22" long. Using a quarter yard, your cut will be 44" long. So you only need to adjust how you cut the fabric.

Welcome to QCA, Pupgal.  Cute puppy in your avatar!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Tue, Apr 8 2014 6:55 AM

It's called a fat quarter, because it's "fat" instead of the long skinny one.  Usually this is bought already cut as a fat quarter, as many stores are reluctant to cut a half yard, and then cut that in half so the quarter you get is "fat."  

Many swaps are done with fat quarters, and this is a great way to get a variety of similar fabrics.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Thank you for responding Erin, Carol and Patti!  I truly appreciate it.  I should have been more clear in my question as I knew the dimensional differences between the two cuts.  I just didn't know if you can interchange them within a set pattern. I guess it really just depends on the quilt and what is required of the yardage.  Figuring that part out comes slow to this newbie.  :)

Thanks again!  

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 10

You are correct, a fat quarter and a quarter yard are not necessarily interchangeable.  From a quarter yard the largest cut that can be made is 9" wide and then whatever length.  ie:  if your pattern is for a big quilt and requires a square LARGER  than 9" X 9" you cannot use the quarter yard.  Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use