Top 10 Posters

I'm new at quilting and I need to know if a quilt with applique is ......

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 3,275
Marianne Nowicki posted on Sun, Apr 6 2014 5:06 AM

I have purchased a twin quilt kit with applique.  Is the quilt supposed to be quilted before applying the applique or is it quilted after everything is done ?  I need advise.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 3,275

I thank you very much for your advise. 

Marianne

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,188 Posts
Points 15,900

Marianne, If your new to quilting and you do not know the answer to this maybe you need to do a practice piece first. Applique takes a little practice and Im sure you would not want to mess up a big quilt. The answer to your question is you applique first  and then quilt. Hope this helps!   Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
650 Posts
Points 12,660

Hi, Marianne!  Usually the quilting is done around the applique after they have been sewn to the quilt. Most quilts I've seen do not have any quilting over the applique. But it's your quilt and there is no right or wrong. You do it the way you want. If you don't want the appliques quilted and don't want to try quilting around them, go ahead and do your quilting first.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,035 Posts
Points 15,820

Hi Marianne, I do a lot of appliques and I have always done the quilting after the appliques.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 3,275

I thank you very much for your advise. 

Marianne

• | Post Points: 25
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 3,275

I want to thank you also Carol.  I see that  there are many ways to do it.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 3,275

thank you very much Weezee.  I'm still confused.  .  I don't do the quilting yet.  I have sent my first quilt to the Missouri star company and the did a fantastic job.  I will post a picture as soon as I have added the bias tape.  It's a queen size and finishing the tape by hand will take me a day or two or more.

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 3,275

Susan, I forgot to use your name when I posted my first thank you.  thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use