Quilt Studio Storage! I Need Some!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon Posted: Fri, Apr 4 2014 12:35 PM

Help! We recently moved, and my basement sewing studio is 21' x 24'! Can you imagine? Anyway, I'm in desperate need of storage ideas. I have a decent sized closet, and am planning to put adjustable 20" Rubbermaid wire shelving in there for project boxes and the like. What I NEED are ideas for storing completed quilts, batting, thread cones, you name it. I'm not in the mood to build anything, but can put a kit together. Oh, I see lots of advice about rolling quilts for storage, or using pillow cases or both. But how do you store a rolled queen size quilt? Or stuff a queen quilt in a pillow case? Please post pictures, where you got your storage solution, etc. Help!

Ignore the very attractive window covering and the lovely mounting tape. It was super cold when the pics were taken.

Sharon

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,152
Points 17,665
weezee56 replied on Fri, Apr 4 2014 12:57 PM

I love your sewing room, it is huge. If you type in sewing studio ideas on bing, they have pictures of what others have come up with. Good luck on your quest.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,861
Points 32,300
Roxana replied on Sat, Apr 5 2014 8:49 AM

Pinterest also has a wealth of sewing room ideas. I've seen screen doors put together to hold quilts for showcasing. I bought some cheap crates and plan to put folded fabric in them and stack them. I'm also making some large design walls on foam board to hang in my room. I'll post pictures if I ever get itt all together.

You can also google sewing rooms and you'll find lots of cool blogs on the subject.

Have fun!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 344
Points 27,135

Sharon, you are blessed to have such a room. 

I know of people who have used furniture such as armoires to store all aspects of storage.  If you are able, you should go to estate sales and such to find pieces which will work for you.

Good luck with your adventure of making this room all you hope for.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 717
Points 14,070

Sharon, your sewing room is great!  Make sure you post a photo when you have it all done.  Here's what I use for my thread cones. It's a Sauder brand CD storage unit from Amazon. 

I use the big plastic storage bins to hold my packages of batting. It doesn't look too pretty but it works for me. My completed quilts are in acid-free boxes. I saw some nice canvas things that have a clear top and zipper to store quilts. I think I saw them in a Nancy's Notions catalog.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,007
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 5 2014 8:07 PM

All People Quilt has some organisation ideas. Wish I had space like you do.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

OkCarol! What beautiful organized shelves! I want all that King Tut thread please!!!  Lucky, lucky Girl!  Such a great idea!! Thanks

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 11:29 AM

Hey Carol, great ideas for storage! My batting is stacked on the floor. Plastic bins are a great idea. and, where did you get the acid-free boxes? I'd like to check them out. My first longarm, the APQS Lenni, arrived on Wed. I've been practicing ever since. So much to learn about the quilting part and the maintenance part!  Here are a couple of pictures. I'll post more on my QCA blog: Sharon D's Blog.

Sharon

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

Wow wow wow Sharon. Have fun with your new baby.

I like storage that allows me to see everything. Most bins don't work well for me except for scraps that I can't bear to toss. Otherwise I have small boxes/bins that I put usable size pieces and fat quarters into by color and they sit in and on top of those cubby organizers I got at Lowes. When I need colors for a project, I can pull out the entire box to select from. Larger fabrics and yardages sit on shelves so I can easily see what I have. My room is very small and quilting has to share with my office so I try to make use of every inch.

I would take a photo but it's such a mess right now because I've been pulling fabrics for various projects this week.

Oh heck, who cares. Here's a photo of one corner of my room. I have more of these cubby's and shelves on the other wall, plus a small design wall. I also have to share my room with our big old cat. He has his own quilt behind my sewing machine where he resides and stays safe from our dogs.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 12:21 PM

Wow Sharon, You lucky, lucky girl.  Wish that I could have a long arm quilter like that.  I'm drooling.    Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 6,005
Sharon replied on Fri, Apr 11 2014 1:06 PM

Hey there Judy. Looks like you've put every inch of your space to good use. And I've seen messy, and your room is NOT messy. You have an organized space with purpose and visibility. My plan is to eventually fill the reach-in closet in my room with adjustable shelving. Lots of room for project boxes, and stuff and things. I like your cubbies, too. And there is your lovely Viking. I have the 875Q and Love It! Thanks for sharing your handy-dandy room.

Sharon

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 717
Points 14,070

Sharon, I got the acid-free boxes from anniescatalog.com

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 8:46 AM

My sewing rooms have been various sizes. Home now is a 500 sq ft apartment. As the years went along and rooms got smaller storage ideas often changed as well. Consistent right from when I started quilting is that I need to visually see to register yet I do not like anything cluttered looking. I have always used clear Rubbermaid storage boxes to store my projects. I still put them behind closed doors so that the fabrics don't light damage or get dusty. When I am working I have the fabric storage doors open so I can see what I can draw from. For display I have a couple of 1930's era oak units where i keep the finished quilts. I open the doors when I want to drool over the quilts but when i am not in the room I again keep the doors closed to save from light damage and dust. Have fun finding just the right solutions for yourself.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use