Top 10 Posters

Just wondering? What is the oldest UFO you have?

Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:38 PM

Mine is only 7 years old, as that is how long I've been retired and I didn't start quilting until then.  It is a triple Irish Chain...very pretty but too big to do it justice on my quilt frame with a midarm machine.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

I will join the club with the people who have inherited quilt pieces from the last century.

Last year my cousin asked me if I would consider working on a quilt started for him when he was a baby.  He just turned 65.  It is a Grandmother's Flower Garden and there appear to be pieces missing.  It looks like there are 42 "rings" started and in various degrees of completion.  His wife hopes that I will be able to complete the 42 flowers and applique them on a background, sash and put borders on to make it fit a king sized bed.

Not much of a hand sewer but I am trying.  Hardest part is deciding what to do for the fabric that is missing.  I would hate to mix "new" fabric with the old. Even 30s reproduction would be (I think) obvious that it wasn't original.  I have had an offer of feed bag fabrics.  The era would be appropriate but not sure about the colors.  So it sits.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 12:33 AM

Darlene, what colors are you looking for? I have a bunch of fabrics from my grandmother that should be of the right period (I'm 66). Let me know what you need and I'll look and see what I have and send you pics of what I have. PM me with your e-mail, please. 

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,447
Points 24,085
Debbie replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 7:24 AM

This is a quilt a co-worker, BJ, asked me to finish.  Her MIL had died and when they went thru the house they found this box of quilt blocks, which were done, just needed to be sewn together.  most of the fabric was from the 50s, as BJ's DH, Jerry, remembered fabric from different clothes he wore - pjs, shirts, etc.  I sewed it all together and then had it long-armed and made the Prairie Points border.  It ended up being a lap quilt for a big man, over 6' and 275#s.  Jerry was so surprised and thrilled to have this memory. 

it's not shown but BJ bought a Ralph Lauren flat sheet, very manly looking, man's shirt type and we used that for the backing.  I also later made a baby quilt for her GS out of some of the pieces so baby and GP had matching quilts.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,735
Points 30,095
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 1:56 PM

What a wonderful gift for a friend, Debbie. I love it!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,351
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 4:57 PM

My oldest UFO WOULD BE ABOUT 20 years. I started making boats for my son. Sail boats. I had no one to guide me so when I got stuck, I set it aside. I now have been quilting for about fifteen years, yet I have no desire to go in that box. The fabric was not good quality, and I know I would undo so many of the sailboats that I'm not certain  what would be left of the original.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,259
Points 28,485
Agnes replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 5:11 PM

It's been interesting reading about the UFOs. I have nothing to add since I spent the last number of years coming to current state. Though quilting for over 20 years with many UFOs in that time space I am now largely a one or two project at a time person. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795

I have so enjoyed reading all of your stories of UFOs. I want to see them all!  Finished of coarse, they all sound wonderful!! 

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 9:21 PM

Candis :

I have so enjoyed reading all of your stories of UFOs. I want to see them all!  Finished of coarse, they all sound wonderful!! 

I have enjoyed reading this thread, too.  I agree with both Gina and Kris:  couldn't begin to dig them all out, much less count them, and I'm not telling anyway!  I will give you a hint, though:  I learned to hand quilt in 1974 or so, and the first one I made was red, white, and blue.  Then the first one I intended to do so I could  learn to applique by hand - and found out I wasn't liking applique, piecing is my thing - and you can guess the rest!  But it's all been fun, and still enjoying it every day!

Good to see we seem to be back in business at QCA~~~~~

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 20,025
Carol replied on Sun, Apr 6 2014 9:21 PM

Candis :

I have enjoyed reading this thread, too.  I agree with both Gina and Kris:  couldn't begin to dig them all out, much less count them, and I'm not telling anyway!  I will give you a hint, though:  I learned to hand quilt in 1974 or so, and the first one I made was red, white, and blue.  Then the first one I intended to do so I could  learn to applique by hand - and found out I wasn't liking applique, piecing is my thing - and you can guess the rest!  But it's all been fun, and still enjoying it every day!

Good to see we seem to be back in business at QCA~~~~~

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,275

Well, lets see. I took an Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day class back in the 1980's, decided to make a king size!! Never even close to finished, and somewhere along life's roads the pieces of that one disappeared, no trace. Life intervened and I did not pursue my dream to quilt. Then, I retired, lost my husband, and needed to move to be near my folks who had significant health issues. I immediately started learning to quilt at that time, 6 yrs ago. Mom expressed a wish to do some quilting, but her disabilities simply made it impossible, so I did not sew or quilt for the next 3 years, feeling guilty doing so when she could not. Both are gone now. After Mom passed away 2 yrs ago, I dug out my machine and started again, teaching myself with books and videos. So, my UFO's are few. One is about 2 yrs old now. It was a pre-cut kit; I believed every piece would, of course, be perfectly cut. Sure. Most of it went together pretty well, but a couple of the blocks are not good. I put it away to "think about what to do" about it. Translated: nothing. I've since been working on and off, on a gift quilt for the past 1-1/2 years. It's to be a retirement gift for a close friend. But, she keeps putting off her retirement, and I keep putting off finishing the quilt to make other things. So, that is my UFO history. Nothing very old. I admire the quilts made by you gals here on QCA! So much inspiration and encouragement to keep forging ahead.   kathy

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,277
Points 173,358
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 8:46 AM

Agnes:

It's been interesting reading about the UFOs. I have nothing to add since I spent the last number of years coming to current state. Though quilting for over 20 years with many UFOs in that time space I am now largely a one or two project at a time person. 

I have enjoyed reading all of the stories as well.   My UFO's only go back a few years, like you AgnesI'm hoping to be a one or two project gal soon.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 9:33 AM

Such fun stories!  I think my oldest is only about 4 years old.  It's a Q4K kit that didn't have enough of the border fabric to finish it up.  I should really take off the border, find something else, finish it up and send it off.  Part of me feels really guilty about keeping it so very long, but I've been so frustrated by the shortness of the fabric (the kits all come pre-cut, you just have to assemble them.)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 9:49 AM

The oldest of my projects is from the 1940's.  I purchased the top on ebay and plan on quilting it someday they called it Rolling Stone pattern and it has the date 1942 pinned to it:

Then my Granny gave me a quilt top to finish, she probably pieced it late 1970's early 1980's.  I have finished two of her tops so far - one I kept, one I gave to my sister, this one will be given to my brother when it's done: 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 362,017
Kris replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 10:50 PM

Jenia I like both tops. 

Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use