Top 10 Posters

Just wondering? What is the oldest UFO you have?

Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,731
Points 29,955
Roxana replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 3:39 PM

I have one from 1982. I don't know if I will ever finish it but I love the colors and the fabrics. It's a Bear's Paw quilt and the piecing was to be done a "quick way" according to the class teacher. I ha just started the class when we had to move to another town. I had bought all the fabric and the teacher gave me all the handouts. I also bought the book she took it from. Then shortly after we moved I got pregnant with baby #3.... then came #4 .... and I didn't get back to quilting until after the turn of the century. So it's all my work and I do plan to get it.

Oh, I just thought of one that is older. All the piecing and quilting is done by hand. It's a sampler quilt done the lap quilting way. It goes back to 1981. It's still in squares but most are pieced, some just cut, and some are even completely quilted! Not sure I'll ever get to it. The rest of the piecing will be done by machine. That's for sure! I still have it all in a couple of airtight boxes. All the batting has been cut and I was certain to keep that sampler book. That was in the days when we didn't have rotary cutters and did everything with templates.

Wow, Candis, did you really have to ask this question? LOL!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

My oldest UFO is circa 2006. I know that doesn't 'seam' old, but it was a turning twenty for me a oversized queen. I made 4 60 x 60" TT quilts one for each child for their Christmas gifts. Those of course were finished by Thanksgiving Day. since I do not do the quilting I must send them out. Last August the piece was quilted and returned to me to bind. WELL if I can't even hold the quilt how can I bind it? good question. So it sits again in a bin 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795

Lol!  Roxana I think everyone should bring one of their oldest UFOs either newly finished or bring to finish to the Oregon Retreat! At least if nothing else t

for show and tell!  You sound like you have two wonderful projects to finish!! They both sound beautiful!!  Made you think!!!!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795

Send that sucker here Caryl Anne, I'll bind it for you!    Would love to see a pic of it!  

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 80
Points 1,420

Wow, that beats mine - I've only been quilting since 2006 and my oldest UFO is my 3rd project...a class....started a wall hanging with curved edges in Batiks and can't finish because I misplaced the pattern in a move and don't know which way to go or where to start with the 3rd piece of the plan. :(

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,441
Points 361,672
Kris replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 4:45 PM

My oldest is the quilt from my beginners class in 2000. I had already made a quilt from reading a book but I wanted to learn some techniques from quilters. I was stationed in Germany at the time. It is partially hand quilted. I may never finish it but I'm OK with that. LOL. I refuse to say just how many UFOs/WIPs I have.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 5:26 PM

Mine is at least 15 years old.  Possibly 17.  And it is on my design wall now as I am working on it.  Found out why I stopped a couple years ago.  Some bad cuts, and having to redo a couple hexagons. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 6,735
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 8:47 PM

Wow, I was feeling bad that I have been working on and off on my sister's quilt for the past 18 mos.....but not anymore.....lol!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,336
Points 414,639
gini replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:25 PM

I took one of my older ufo's to last years Oregon retreat. It was well over twenty.  That top is still awaiting quilting.   I hand pieced a lone star at the hospital when mom had her heart attack.  She was 54 then and just had her 79 th birthday.   I have older ufo's, I would need a backhoe  to excavate them

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,336
Points 414,639
gini replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:27 PM

I inherited quilt blocks made by my great gramma in 1935,  I put them in a quilt, hated it an the are sitting in a box.  Is this a 79 yo UFO?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,336
Points 414,639
gini replied on Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:28 PM

I inherited quilt blocks made by my great gramma in 1935,  I put them in a quilt, hated it an the are sitting in a box.  Is this a 79 yo UFO?

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 9,105
Pat A replied on Thu, Apr 3 2014 10:09 AM

I have an Irish Chain quilt that I started in med-70s.  I was hand piecing it (2/1/2" squares).  It got put aside for a few years before  I got back to it  and finished up the blocks.  Got put aside again and again pulled it back out a few years later and added a border.  I had decided to put three borders on it .  I got the second border on it and when I was putting on the third I ran out of the color fabric I needed to finish up the border.  So it sat again.  In the mid-90's I pulled it out again, went shopping and found the right shade of green (how lucky was that!) and finished adding the last border.  And so it sat again.  I had decided I was going to hand quilt this since I had pieced the whole thing and I don't know know how to hand quilt.  Several years agos I thought how hard can it be?  So I bought a frame and got started.  Didn't get far.  Had to take the frame down cause I was having company (the frame was set up in my dining room) and so it now sits in the closet waiting for me to get back to it.  One of these days I'll get back to it.  I hope so.  It actually is very pretty and it is the first quilt I ever made.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,013
Points 15,410

I started making a quilt that looks like a double wedding ring, the rings are crocheted and need to quilted on a plain quilt top then quilted together. All the crocheting is finished. Now that I have my quilting frame I might be able to put it together.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 275
Coby replied on Fri, Apr 4 2014 7:22 AM

That sounds interesting with the crocheting in it I did double wedding ring top this past winter it was a lot of work its still waiting to be quilted

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Fri, Apr 4 2014 6:54 PM

Mine is 21 yrs old. Its hand pieced and appliqued, a class quilt I took right after my divorce. Top is done, backing is misplaced (read stuck away somewhere so I wouldn't lose it), working up energy to hunt for same, then energy to hand quilt it. Oldest UFO I have was started by my grandmother in the 30s. Needs to be repaired then quilted. Again with the hand quilting. Don't know if fibromyalgia, polymyalgia rheumatica, Takayasu's arteritis and arthritis will allow for hand-work, but I'll try.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use