Top 10 Posters

quilt batting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 65
Lillian Ratto posted on Sun, Mar 30 2014 12:22 PM

Hi- making a crib baby quilt. Which loft do I get for hand quilting- low or medium. Is Quilter's Dream cotton batting better than Mountain Mist?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Sun, Mar 30 2014 12:46 PM

http://www.quiltingassistant.com/batting.html her

here's a discussion for you on batts.  low loft is easier to quilt, and poly is easier,  however I don't recommend poly for babies unless it is flame resistant,   then you get into the whole chemical issue and I don't know how the flame retardant is to hand quilt.  wool is easy to quilt, but expensive.  there are a lot of choices out there, you'll have to research them and pick one.   there are pros and cons to all of them

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,814
gini replied on Sun, Mar 30 2014 12:47 PM

and I forgot to welcome you.   hello and welcome

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
211 Posts
Points 2,780
Flo replied on Sun, Mar 30 2014 2:07 PM

Welcome!  I am a hand quilter too.  I prefer cotton batting with scrim for hand quilting, however on a small quilt the scrim isn't as important.   Scrim helps the batting hold up to the man-handling a quilt gets whilt being hand quilted.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
135 Posts
Points 955
NinaK replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 5:18 AM

Hi Lillian:

Over the years I have made numerous quilts for babies and my choice of batting for those quilts has "evolved."  Back in the 1970s & 80s we didn't have as many choices, and I typically used polyester batting.  It was easy to quilt and was much more stable than the cotton battings available at the time.  The cotton battings we have available today are so good and easy to quilt, that is what I now choose for baby and children's quilts.  I have tried bamboo batting and found it easy to quilt and had a nice drape to the finished quilt.  I was attracted to the bamboo for babies because it was claimed to be antibacterial and non allergenic - good things for a baby quilt.  However, as I did more research on the production of bamboo fibers, I became aware that the process was very toxic to the environment and I no longer use it.  The only Quilters Dream batting I am aware of is the green batting made from recycled plastic.  I have not tried this because I have an objection to putting a "chemically charged" batting in my quilts.  Have any studies been done to determine what the long-term effect of recycled plastic has on the life of the fabrics in our quilts?  The experts tell us not to dry clean quilts, as the chemicals have an adverse effect on the longevity  of the quilts - so would other chemicals also cause a problem? 

My current choice for all my quilts is cotton batting.  It is easy to work with, is stable, holds up to the handling of hand quilting and dmaintain that the machine quilting holds up to repetitive launderings better than hand quilting. Just a comment - I still prefer hand quilting!

Regards.Nina

Top 500 Contributor
Female
135 Posts
Points 955
NinaK replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 5:28 AM

My last paragraph got messed up somehow - I have a new laptop and it tends to skip and jump around while I am typing.

Wanted to say that the Quilts for Kids program recommends machine quilting - and lots of it - for kids quilts.  They maintain that machine quilting holds up better than hand quilting through multiple launderings.  Just a comment - I still prefer hand quilting!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
135 Posts
Points 955
NinaK replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 5:28 AM

My last paragraph got messed up somehow - I have a new laptop and it tends to skip and jump around while I am typing.

Wanted to say that the Quilts for Kids program recommends machine quilting - and lots of it - for kids quilts.  They maintain that machine quilting holds up better than hand quilting through multiple launderings.  Just a comment - I still prefer hand quilting!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 6,735

I make a lot of baby quilts and the battings I only use are either Warm and Natural or Quilter Dream Cotton in either Request or Select lofts...either brand is very good and very easy for hand quilting....I prefer the Quilters Dream over Warm and Natural because it feels softer but I use both....depends on the sale at the time. My grandkids are 5&7 and they still use their baby quilts to cuddle up watching TV, they have been washed numerous times and are still going strong.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 4,205

Tnmtgrl/Jen, thanks for your comment on batting. I've been looking at Quilters Dream cotton batting. I don't want to use poly, and have not been totally happy with Warm and Natural cotton for baby quilts I've made. It seems that they are less soft, less pliable, more like a mat rather than a soft and snuggly wrap for a little one. I thought washing the quilts a couple of times would soften them up, but it really doesn't, at least initially. Perhaps they do soften with greater time, but by then they are long gone and I don't see how they work out. I appreciate your comment. I'll definitely use QD for a throw I'm ready to sandwich and see how it goes.    

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 6,735

Let us know how you like it...and don't forget pics of the quilt...we love pics!  :)

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use