Need help...Applique on longarm??

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr Posted: Sun, Mar 23 2014 3:53 PM

This is my latest creation. I was thinking of adding the Accuquilt ribbon twist applique pieces with a few applique flowers.... My question is ... should I quilt first then add applique via the longarm? Should i applique via my domestic machine then quilt? 

What would you do? Keep in mind I have never done applique on long arm but I was thinking I can use monopoly thread and just stitch around the edges. Seems like it would be easier to manage than on my domestic. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 190
Points 3,240
hhhdmh replied on Sun, Mar 23 2014 4:15 PM

Very nice. I love the pattern.

God Bless

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Mon, Mar 24 2014 9:56 AM

Appliqué before quilting or all the appliqué stitches will show up on the back of your quilt.  Appliqué stitches are more dense, and that will affect how tou will need to quilt it.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Mon, Mar 24 2014 10:40 AM

First off I love your Quilt it is so cheerful, love the border, what a creative and wonderful idea,  think I will try that too, since I have the go cutter!  I have quilted fusible appliqué on with my long arm. Big pieces not small. I watched a few videos on utube about it first.  It isn't hard and I loved the results.  The Quilting looked great.  If you go to utube.  Type in appliqué with longarm.  Several will come up!  Hope this helps. I think your border would look great done this way! Hope you show us finished. Quilt, any way you decide to finish!

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr replied on Fri, Mar 28 2014 4:45 AM

I am now thinking I will just stitch around the applique pieces with the long arm. If I applique the pieces down first with a satin stitch or blanket stitch I don't know if they will look good because the stitch will show a lot. With the longarm not only will it be easier to maneuver but the simple stitch shouldn't show as much if I use monopoly thread. If I stitch close to the edges do you think I will have to worry about fraying after?? 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:23 AM

http://youtu.be/Ne0L0e_uFqM.      Try looking at this if you haven't already.  It's interesting and may give you answers to the questions you asked.  I have done this before with my longarm, I used her stitches of going around the appliqué, no fraying at all!  Take a look, it's interesting.  Hope to see your creation! 

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Posts 68
Points 3,105
kmrchr replied on Fri, Mar 28 2014 5:27 PM

I have actually seen that appliqué done in person....Harriet was at my local quilt shop for our long arm retreat last year. She recreated the same youtube appliqué. It was great but I am looking for stitching that won't show as much on my ribbons. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 869
Points 14,795
Candis replied on Fri, Mar 28 2014 7:39 PM

Ok sorry, hope you find a great way. 

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use