New/Returning Member

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110
DTMEDIC Posted: Sun, Mar 23 2014 1:45 AM

I was a member 6-7 years ago, but let my membership languish....so I joined anew.  I made my first quilt 7 years ago...since then I've only made 4 other quilts, but my interest has really picked up in the past 6 months with inspiration from my beautiful office/sewing room makeover...I even joined a local quilt guild and cannot WAIT to do some of the workshops scheduled and make some new friends.

As much as I really and truly WANT to be good at sewing/quilting, it seems I'm always always always fighting to do it just right...I wish I knew what it is that makes it so difficult for me to complete a row of stitches without having some type of problem!!! So, I'm hoping that you kind folks will help me out with tips and tricks along the way.

So!! HELLO...look forward to chatting with you.

Debbie

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,509
Points 30,695
Diana replied on Sun, Mar 23 2014 5:53 AM

Hi Debbie,  If you're having problems, first thing is to be sure sewing machine has been cleaned.  Get rid of lint, dirt, etc from underneath the needle and plate.  That can cause all kinds of issues. Have your machine serviced if it hasn't been done.  My every day machine gets serviced once a year because I sew a lot.   If tension is a problem, use scraps and test and adjust until you have equal thread on top and bottom.  

Just a few thoughts.    Diana in East TN

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,134
Points 17,485
weezee56 replied on Sun, Mar 23 2014 2:29 PM

Hi Debbie, What kind of problems are you having?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 259
Points 3,370

Welcome back, Debbie.  Could you give us more details on the problems you are having?  Someone is sure to be able to suggest solutions.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Welcome back Debbie. I joined in 2010 then in 2012 sat out a year.  Then decided to come back new also!  Glad I did.  A lot has changed!  Looking forward to getting to know you better!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Mon, Mar 24 2014 9:59 AM

Welcome back, Debbie.  Don't worry about the first few quilts, you are learning, it will get better. Quilting has a pretty quick learning curve.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110
DTMEDIC replied on Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:35 AM

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcome AND for your abundant willingness to try to help me with my "problems."

Sadly, I most of my issues are of my own making...I have analyzed my issues and despite always vowing to do things differently "next time" I think I let my desire to finish the quilt get the best of me and I start making stupid mistakes...or I sew well beyond the point I'm tired and I'm sure all of you know how THAT works out...or should I say RIPS out.

...and then there is the problem I encountered binding my last quilt.  I wanted to do a machine bound quilt because I have arthritis in my hands which makes holding a needle and thread for any length of time kind of painful. :-( So, I watched a tutorial on You Tube from Missouri Quilter (or something like that) and she did a beautiful binding! YIPPEE...I watched it twice before I even attempted it then gave it a go.  I honestly THOUGHT all was well...until I looked at the BACK of the quilt.  It seems that despite my stitching looking straight on the top, it tended to meander on and off of the bottom binding.  If you followed the stitching it was okay, so apparently it had more to do with where the edge of the binding was on the bottom...and IT not being exactly straight. So how does one conquer that kind of problem?  Any suggestions...aside from just hand binding it! HAHA

Thanks again...I look forward to learning from you all.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,673
Points 120,430

Hello back at you Debbie. Glad you're back with us.  I may be the opposite of you as I'm not a perfectionist and tend to look at my quilt pieces and say "Oh well......" (I say that a LOT)  If it looks pretty, I'm usually happy. If it turns out really awful, it goes on the bottom of a pile that may never be touched again. (I have a pile of those I'm afraid).

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Ok I have a method I use, I only machine stitch my bindings, I don't want to spend the time hand stitching anything, too impatient I guess, plus It hurts my hands too, !! I use the Sharon shamburn.       I think that's how you spell it.   Here's the utube link, I watched it several years ago. And now I use this technique for binding all my quilts .  You get good at it and after awhile you know how to cut corners.  Here it is. It's a great video, it is worth the time bindings always look great. And more sturdy in my opinion then any hand stitching I could do. I do however have respect for hand stitches!!  They are awesome in my book!

http://youtu.be/a2hWQ5-ZccE

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110
DTMEDIC replied on Mon, Mar 24 2014 1:40 PM

Judy,

Most of mine are of the "Oh Well" variety... HAHA, and honestly most people comment on how good they look, but I know the problems I guess...and I would NEVER show them to an experienced quilter for fear they would be like OMG what was she THINKING. 

But...I really do think its much healthier to have your attitude about it...that would make quilting more enjoyable.  I'm always amazed when people say its relaxing...SERIOUSLY?  I always feel like a bundle of tenseness...but I guess comfort comes with practice and I intend to keep doing that.

Thanks!!

Debbie

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110
DTMEDIC replied on Mon, Mar 24 2014 1:40 PM

Thank you Candis, I will surely take a look!!

Debbie

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

DTMEDIC:

Thank you Candis, I will surely take a look!!

Debbie

You won't be sorry, I don't do competition quilts, and I don't use the little tip thing on my washable glue, it clogs to easy I find. Or it's just me,  anyway I use straight from the bottle, and apply a small thin line, after you do a few it's so easy and looks great. Right down to all those muttered corners!   I also connect all my strips using her method instead of end to end, easy mitered!  And best thing. My hands don't hurt, . I stitch in the ditch mostly using a walking foot but not necessary, it catches just on my edge on the back every time. As long as your binding is folded past that backing stitch line.   Perfect!!    It's really not hard or complicated at all.   Good luck. Let me know after you try it one time. 

MODESTO, CA.
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,836
Points 31,995
Roxana replied on Sat, Apr 12 2014 2:15 PM

Welcome, Debbie. You'll find lots of tips, help, and inspiration on QCA. We are glad you are back!

Candis, thanks for the link to the binding method. I'm with you on wanting to do all my bindings by hand!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use