Machines

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85
Gmabear Posted: Wed, Mar 19 2014 8:18 AM

I'm looking to upgrade machines - currently have a Brother embroidery model.  Any suggestions on a machines that does well? 

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 1:29 PM

I am a Singer girl.  I am currently on a Singer 7470 Confidence.  i t does free motion with over 200 built in stitches.  I love it!  My only problem is Singers are no longer slant shank, they are short shank so I had to repurchase my walking and 1/4" feet.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85
Gmabear replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 4:59 PM

Thanks Flo!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 595
tish replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 6:18 PM
I have a Husqvarna Sapphire I just love. It has the needle up/down and in the down position, when I stop sewing, the needle stays in the fabric and the foot goes up off the fabric (so I am able to pivot around curves and corners) then automatically goes back down when I start sewing again, I just Love that. Also put the bobbin in and start sewing, that too is a great feature. Its a bit pricey though. I also have the Husqvarna Ruby, it embroiders and will also sew side-ways in sewing mode, so I can sew on a label without turning the fabric, which is pretty neat.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,965

I am a Viking girl also!  I love all the features, and the ease of sewing with them.  They are pricey but so worth the money! 

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Thu, Mar 20 2014 11:28 AM

My Singer has the needle up/down, however the presser foot  needs to be raised and lowered by hand.  My hubby got it on sale for 300 when it normally sells for 500.  If money is an issue like with me, it is a great machine.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:10 PM

I've been sewing lately on my janome 6600 its been accomodating me pretty well.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sun, Mar 23 2014 9:52 PM

I would suggest making a list of the features you like, noting which you would not do without & which would be "icing on the cake". Then, go to dealers in your area, or quilt shows with dealers showing machines, and test drive the models. The different companies all seem to have come out with new models in the last year or so, so there are features you may not have on your current machine. 

Have fun exploring & good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
marie4403 replied on Fri, Mar 28 2014 8:05 AM

Hi ,

I had a janome 6600 which I loved. I had complications changing the feet due to a disability. I never thought I'd like a machine more than that but now have a Pfaff performance 5.0 and love it . It has IDT  so you don't need a walking foot and the feet just snap on. It has automatic thread cutter and presser foot up and down. Take a look at it on you tube you may like it. Whatever you choose I hope you love it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,965

I am looking for the best embroidery only machine. I have several viking machines including the new sapphire 870. I got for Xmas.  Now I want to embroidery.  Figures right, ?!  I didn't want to when I bought my machines!  I used to have a singer Futura.  I hated it, what a pain! I sold it a few months later, vowed not to embroider again!  But the machine acted up all the time,  I'm ready now, but want a good machine to embroider with.  Only embroider!  Any suggestions out there?  Any body have a stand alone embroidery machine you love that is user friendly?  Thanks for any opinions I can get!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600
uaniquilt replied on Fri, Mar 28 2014 9:28 AM

I have a 1475 Pfaff.  It is an older machine, but a real work horse.  The features I LOVE for quilting are the built in walking foot - provides even feed of fabrics and is wonderful for sewing on bindings; needle up and needle down for ease of stopping and starting and chain piecing.  There are about 200 different stitches if you ever want to embellish or do letters.  The 7570 is also a wonderful Pfaff machine.  These are the last models that were built in Germany and are very well made.  I picked up 2 of these on craigslist and e-bay.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,220

Candis :
 I used to have a singer Futura.

Candis, I have a Singer Futura and it is a glorified sewing machine for me.  I had so many problems with the embroidery.  My husband told me it was the computer and got me a new computer.  That didn't solve my problems.  Then I got my laptop and we tried to install the program on the laptop hoping that would solve my issues and give me some portability.

Long story short, the embroidery piece of the machine sits in a cabinet and I use the machine rarely.  I can drop feed dogs and so it helps to have sometimes when I want to do free motion quilting.  I am still not that good at free motion, so that is rare.

I loved the idea of being able to embroider and invested a lot of $$ in software which collects dust.  I hope to find another machine someday that I will be able to use the software I bought with, but that is way in the future.

Luckily, my DH has no clue how much I spent and doesn't seem to mind it sitting there.

Good luck on your search.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use