Do you prewash batting?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 690
Pamela (ThePamster) posted on Mon, Mar 17 2014 6:40 PM

I used flannel in my quilts, but in the next ones I might try batting, we live in Florida though, so I don't know if I should or not. Is it too warm? And from what I saw some you don't have to? Thank you in advance for sharing your advice on this subject. :)

Proud Owner of a Necchi Supernova BU, it sews magnificently! ♥

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
102 Posts
Points 1,520

I'm in Phoenix, use Warm & Natural without prewashing, and have been very pleased with the results...not too warm, except in the middle of the summer...

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,188 Posts
Points 15,900

Pam, I live in North Florida and use warm and natural batting. Its not heavy or to warm like a comforter would be. I also use flannel for batting in my baby quilts sometimes.   Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 690

Thank you both! I am thinking the flannel wasn't quite heavy enough, and I want something a little thicker this next quilt, so I might try the warm and natural. :D Thanks again for the valuable feedback and experiences! :D

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Tue, Mar 18 2014 1:09 PM

I do not prewash batting, but I do unroll it and let it fluff for a day or so before I layer my quilt.  i do prewash flannel for backing because it shrinks irregular.

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 690

That sounds like a plan! Good advice, thanks Flo!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
209 Posts
Points 3,245

Pam,

I do not prewash batting, because I purchase batting that won't shrink and batting doesn't come with the seizing that's on fabric.  I can handle all batting without any allergic reactions. 

Marianne

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 690

Thank you Marianne! If I go with batting on t he next ones I'll be sure to get some tat doesn't require prewashing. I think that would just be a pain to deal with....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,354 Posts
Points 414,909
gini replied on Thu, Mar 20 2014 6:38 PM

prewashing batting depends on the look you want. 

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use