Top 10 Posters

I bought a can of spray starch, and am wondering...Do you use starch?

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690
Pamela (ThePamster) Posted: Sat, Mar 15 2014 7:06 PM

Do you prewash, dry, and then iron and starch before cutting fabrics? I am figuring that is the pattern I need to follow, I did with with my current project, the Star Wars Quilt as you Go quilt. I think it just needs to be starched before cutting as well as ironed. Do you all do that as well? :D

Proud Owner of a Necchi Supernova BU, it sews magnificently! ♥

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 7:13 PM

Pamela (ThePamster):
Do you prewash, dry, and then iron and starch before cutting fabrics?

I used to prewash all my fabrics. Now pretty much anything just what I use red in. I starch either way. I think crisply starched fabrics behave better when sewing them by machine.    I feel like they fray less too.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690

That's cool Stephanie! I will have to agree, that so far the starch I did to the test quilt I made did make it much easier under the machine. I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks that. :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 225

good question. That is something i was curious about. I also bought a can just in case. I am currently working on my very 1st quilt and didn't use any starch but it is good to know for future projects and to have in stock:) Thank you and Stephanie for the info.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 10:37 AM

Yes and no. I usually don't bother to pre-wash unless I am worried the fabric will bleed. I starch if I am going to be cutting across the bias and I want the extra stability, but otherwise, no, I don't bother. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 253
Points 4,200

A quick note of caution for anyone who may not know: Moths love starch! So, if you plan to use starch during construction, be sure that you plan to wash this project after it's finished. Do not store an unwashed quilt with starch on it. You won't be happy when you take it out at a later time to find that moths have eaten holes all over it.   

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690

Good advice! I'll be sure to wash the quilt after it's made so it won't be moth bait! 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35
robin replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 4:54 PM

I also spray starch when I am pressing my seams... keeps them nice and flat.  good luck on your 1st quilt.... it is addicting so be prepared!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690

Thanks robin! I am having fun with it for sure! Got all 63 blocks sewn with X's today, but won't be starting to assemble it until tomorrow after lunch. :D

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,186
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 10:00 PM

I do not pre wash my fabric . I do iron  and use Magic Sizing spray as it is recommended by several quilt instructors. After comparing it to heavier starch I like the results better.   Susan

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690

I got Magic Sizing too! I just liked the look of the can on the shelf, glad I picked it now! It doesn't strike me as a heavy starch either. Thanks Susan!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 211
Points 2,780
Flo replied on Tue, Mar 18 2014 1:05 PM

I only prewas flannel and only then when I am using it as backing.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690

I definitely prewashed all my flannels, I knew it'd shrink so I didn't want to ruin a quilt by short cutting on that. I was too paranoid it'd be shrinking after the first wash. :(

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Lynda_MM replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 5:26 PM

Thank you.  I didn't know that.  I've been quilting for 25 years.  I prewash my fabrics.  All the fabrics I plan on using in a quilt go in the washing machine with three "color catchers".  If the color catchers have turned very dark with dye, I repeat the process.  That way I know the colors won't be running on to one another when I wash my completed quilt.

I'll be passing on the tip about moths liking the spray starch.  Thanks again.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690

I am glad to know the moths like to eat starch too, definitely going to wash this quilt when I'm done with it!

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use