Top 10 Posters

Which do you prefer? Basting Pins or Spray and why?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 690
Pamela (ThePamster) posted on Thu, Mar 13 2014 6:02 AM

As I am starting my next quilt, a Quilt As You Go styled one, I am choosing to go with pins, what are your thoughts on basting? Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts. :)

Proud Owner of a Necchi Supernova BU, it sews magnificently! ♥

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
692 Posts
Points 10,805

Love all these great suggestions.

Gini I'm having a crapola day also.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,265 Posts
Points 173,178
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 7:01 PM

Flo, sorry for your problems as well.  My carpal tunnel is getting worse in my right hand, had the surgery on my left hand and it's a lot better.  Guess it's time for surgery again.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
206 Posts
Points 3,230

Gini,

Sorry to read that your hands kept you awake.

I'm allergic to Aspirin. Tylenol and Ibuproven..  but I have found that homeopathic remedies work forr me.  For arthritis  pain I use Zeel and that is made by Heel. If my hands hurt I put on Arnica crème.  All those things  are available on line or in a Health food store.  There is also an Arnica-Traumeel crème, but I haven't tried that yet.  There are no side affects to homeopathic remedies. 

My daughter got me started on them several years ago when visiting her in Jacksonville, FL.  I had one of my sinus head aches and she handed me two little pills and she told me to stick them under my tongue.  I did it and she came about 20 minutes later to ask how my head ache was.  It was gone.  That was the first time in years and years that I got rid of sinus pressure headache in 20 minutes and I was truly amazed.  That's when I started to use more and more homeopathic remedies. The sinus remedy is called Sinusalia and it's made by Boiron. 

Marianne

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,251 Posts
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Tue, Apr 29 2014 9:44 AM

gini:

So, Agnes, you are pressing it with the iron?   Don't you get distortion?   How large of quilts do you baste this way?  It sounds like a great method for smaller quilts.  What is your ratio of h2o to glue, and if you get it going the wrong way, is it easy to lift off and reposition?  I know myself, if something can go wrong with a technique, I will find it.

I'll try to answer your questions. Yes, I press with an iron. I get no more distortion than I have with any other method. I always pressed my quilts with the spray basting as well so the pressing was already a valued part. Because I am limiting myself to making smaller quilts the largest I have used this method for is 50 x 70 inches.

Water proportion depends a bit on your brand of glue. I didn't buy Elmer's but another brand. Smells just the same as Elmer's but is a little thinner to start with. For this last quilt I thinned about 50-50 and found it a bit thick so I just added a bit more water. The reason I say I found it thick is because it gave me resistance while 'painting" I find it sticks well enough if I can freely move the brush on the batting. Like so many things this is hard to explain.

Sometimes I think it would be nice if the glue wasn't the same color as the batting. I can certainly tell when I am hand stitching the binding where I have double coated a small section. I have much greater stitching resistance and the sandwich is stiffer.

I make sure to lightly smooth the fabric onto the batting before I put the iron to it. Just that little action wicks the moisture through the fabric. Until you have pressed it there is no problem positioning and lifting it to correct waywardness. The heat of the iron is there to remove the excess moisture and subsequently keep it in place. A little glue goes a long way. If you had it pressed down and then wanted to move it again spraying with water to loosen the bond would undo it. With my last quilt I had some batting stuck on the trimmed off pieces of fabric. I put it in the basin with water and the glue dissolved to easily remove the batting.

Just for interest sake. Roxanne's basting glue is a very expensive way to buy Elmer's washable school glue.

Can't think off hand of something going really wrong with this method that can't be saved. On a white backing while pressing I thought I had kept the iron too long on one spot and scorched the fabric. After washing the mark was gone. My iron had been set higher than cotton so I now make sure that it is on the cotton setting. It wasn't the fabric but the glue that had turned color but it washed away. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
211 Posts
Points 2,780
Flo replied on Tue, Apr 29 2014 1:11 PM

The way I look at it, I still have full use of my hand, it just occasionally has issues.  God was very good to me!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
692 Posts
Points 10,805

Thanks Gini that was a great tutorial.  I basically do the same thing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,799
gini replied on Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:22 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Agnes.   That helps give me a picture of how to do this.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,799
gini replied on Tue, Apr 29 2014 10:37 PM

Marianne, I'm not allergic to  any of the NSAIDs, so I'll stick with them.  I don't have arthritis, I have nerve pain from overuse.  They are much better today after IBU and ice for a couple of days.   Arnica shouldn't be taken with drugs that slow blood clotting. I take an aspirin a day, so it is counterindicated. Arnica is also very poisonous if ingested, or put on broken skin, and I have small children around.   I don't consider homeopathic remedies necessarily innocuous.  Potency depends on how they are prepared and how they interact with drugs you may be taking or conditions  you may have.   As with any drug, homeopathic or not,  research and proceed with caution.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
206 Posts
Points 3,230

Gini,

I'm happy that you're not allergic to NSAIDs.  

Marianne

Top 500 Contributor
Female
206 Posts
Points 3,230

Gini,

I can't turn on my sewing machine.  It's raining and lightening  and I don't have the same protection as on the computer. 

I need to explain about the Arnica Montana  in homeopathic remedies.  In a 1 x, there are 100 particles of the filler and one particle of the Montana.  A 2 x would be 100x1oo  filler  (I believe that would be ten thousand particels of the filler to1 particle Anica Montana.  In a 3X it's about 1 Million filler particels to one Arnica.  So by the time it's a 6x, it's pretty diluted and that kicks the body into healing and does no harm.  Most people use the 6C, which stands for a thousand.  IC is a thousand filler to one.  In a 6C it would be trillions of filler particals to one of the Arnica.  I checked the Arnica crème, it's for bruising, overuse, falls and other injuries.  It is in a 1x formula and for external use only and to keep away from children, just like any man made chemical pain crème. It's manufactured in France.

My kids are grown up, but  our youngest grandson visits often, he's 4 years old.  He's into cardboard boxes right now.  we keep all meds away from him.   Marianne

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,251 Posts
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Wed, Apr 30 2014 9:24 AM

gini:

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Agnes.   That helps give me a picture of how to do this.

Gini--You're very welcome. I'll gladly share methods or something I've learned anytime.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,251 Posts
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Wed, Apr 30 2014 9:29 AM

gini:
I don't consider homeopathic remedies necessarily innocuous.

Gini--Fully agree. Had a friend who would get thumped into the hospital several times a year to straighten out his whole system because of the mixing of various drugs and homeopathic remedies. He just never seemed to learn that he was doing more harm than good.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,330 Posts
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Mon, May 12 2014 8:16 PM

I use spray but I don't use the expensive stuff from JoAnn's or the LQS. I go to the frame shops and you can get the same spray for about 1/4 the cost. I have asthma and so far the fumes haven't bothered me, but I either open a window or turn on the overhead fan. However, I also pin the quilt but  not very much. Basically just around the edges and a big X just as a precaution. With my eyesight these days I may not have sprayed very well. Since I've been spraying the backs look so much nicer.

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use