Top 10 Posters

Which do you prefer? Basting Pins or Spray and why?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 49 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720
Pamela (ThePamster) posted on Thu, Mar 13 2014 6:02 AM

As I am starting my next quilt, a Quilt As You Go styled one, I am choosing to go with pins, what are your thoughts on basting? Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts. :)

Proud Owner of a Necchi Supernova BU, it sews magnificently! ♥

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,135 Posts
Points 17,490

When I pin baste a quilt I always use my kwik klip. It keeps my fingers from getting sore. It is also a great help to un-pin.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
782 Posts
Points 12,635

I use Basting Spray cause I get so nervous about the pins I mess of the flow of my stitching.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,451 Posts
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 6:32 PM

I use pins and use a grapefruit spoon to save my fingers, works well.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 7:10 PM

I pin baste..sometimes with straight pins if it is quilt as you go, and safety pins for all others.  I tried the basting sprays when they firast came out and did not like the odor.  Safety pins are my favorite basting type because I am a hand quilter and they stay in awhile!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,292 Posts
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 8:08 PM

I've been basting with an alternative method not mentioned since Jan and have no intention of going back to pins, thread or spray basting. I use washable school glue, slightly diluted and a 3" cheap paint brush. I slightly dilute the glue so that it "paints on" easily. I hang my batting over my ironing  table with the center section on the table to start with. I lightly paint on the glue solution, center the backing down on it and press this section to remove the moisture always pressing outwards from the middle. I then move it and continue same fashion to one end, flip it and continue to the other end. Then I flip it onto the iron table batting up again and continue with the pieced top. This is the most user friendly method I have come across. There is no clean up except rinsing the paint brush and glue mixing container. There are no toxins and nothing that activates inflammation in tendons. Best of all I do it all standing, the best position for me and an even better benefit no over-spray that takes forever to get washed up. I always wash my quilts when I finish and the glue is gone. If the quilt is wider than the iron table I just move the quilt side to side before moving up or down. I am also not spending a fortune on glue compared to spray. Come back to school time I will stock up but I find it really doesn't take a lot per quilt. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 8:37 PM

Thanks Agnes!  I never thought og that, which is silly because I use a glue stick to baste when doing needle turn applique.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Denise,

Thank you for providing the video website for the Kwik klip and the tool. 

I can't use the basting spray.  I had my DH spray it for me, but it  still gives ma an allergic reaction. 

I'm starting to wonder if the basting spray makes my thread break when I use  a complicated stitch on my sewing machine?

Thanks again,

Marianne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,451 Posts
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 10:09 AM

Wow, Agnes, what a terrific idea!  Your own or did someone teach you this method of basting?

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,292 Posts
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 1:13 PM

Marie--Someone on another forum mentioned glue basting. I asked some questions, googled it, got some more opinions on it that way and then refined it to suit myself. Many mentioned just using dots or squiggles of glue. I felt that would give me hard spots. I was trying to emulate spray basting without the mess so I also wasn't going the route of spraying the thinned solution when that was mentioned as a possibility.. I believe I have found my solution for life.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,451 Posts
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 1:18 PM

Agnes:
I believe I have found my solution for life.

Agnes, thanks again, I'm going to give it a try.  How many parts water to glue do you use?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,418 Posts
Points 415,754
gini replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 2:46 PM

So, Agnes, you are pressing it with the iron?   Don't you get distortion?   How large of quilts do you baste this way?  It sounds like a great method for smaller quilts.  What is your ratio of h2o to glue, and if you get it going the wrong way, is it easy to lift off and reposition?  I know myself, if something can go wrong with a technique, I will find it.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,517 Posts
Points 47,270

Very interesting Agnes. I have used 505 spray almost from the beginning of my quilting. I have tried pin basting but I get a smoother quilt with the spray. However, the spray is very expensive. I just bought a can to finish a quilt and it was $23. I should get at least one more quilt from it, but am still in shock at the price. I am definitely going to try this method when my spray is gone. Thanks so much for jumping in here with your experience.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,418 Posts
Points 415,754
gini replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 3:04 PM

I had a crapola day yesterday.   When Sam is gone, I use that time to prep my projects, so the mess is out of the house by the time he gets home.  Saturday, I did so much cutting and sewing that I could not use my hands the next morning, they started hurting in the middle of the night, no ibu.  I found some aleve  the next morning, but there are big warnings on dosage.   I sat around all day, icing, grumbling ( grumbling to myself, it isn't as affective if there is no one to listen),  really bummed. By night I could do a tiny bit of stitching and I could do a limited amount of sewing on the featherweight.  It was even pouring rain most of the day so I missed my walk.  They are tingly and sore today, so I will give them a try later today.  And of course,  my buddy laughed and laughed that I would injure myself so badly by quilting.  Good thing he's still gone.  I think I could duct tape the rotary cutter to the ends of my arms and do him some damage.  Maybe not, I don't thing I have the strength to rip it .   I keep telling  him it's a combat sport.  My mom and dad even sniggered at me today at lunch, I should have made dad pick up the check.  My daughter was laughing at me while saying solicitous things, that was Not effective at soothing-my feelings.  What  a loving and supportive family I have.  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 5:01 PM

I feel your pain!  On my right hand I had part of the transverse ligament removed for a benign tumor  8 years ago.  Because of that I have to watch repetitive gripping and squeezing.  When I am not careful, same thing happens to me and I get no love but a lot of "stuff" from my family.  You can cry on my shoulders anytime!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,451 Posts
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 28 2014 6:50 PM

Gini, sorry for your day, hope it's much better for you today.  I've missed Your sense of humor glad it's back!

Millbury, MA

Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use