Top 10 Posters

Which do you prefer? Basting Pins or Spray and why?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 49 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720
Pamela (ThePamster) posted on Thu, Mar 13 2014 6:02 AM

As I am starting my next quilt, a Quilt As You Go styled one, I am choosing to go with pins, what are your thoughts on basting? Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts. :)

Proud Owner of a Necchi Supernova BU, it sews magnificently! ♥

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 450
BarbC replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 7:26 AM

I prefer pins, safety or straight, depending on the project.  Don't like the smells of adhesives and if i want to rip out, i want it to be clean.  i also don't want to risk gumming my needle or my machine, no matter what the mfr says.  i considered trying one of those wash out threads and basting but it just seems like an unnecessary step.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

Those are the same things I thought about adhesive sprays Barb, I just bought some more safety pins so I plan on going that route. Thanks for the reply. :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,933 Posts
Points 125,230

I won't use spray. The propellant is bad for your lungs, especially in a contained environment such as your home.  I pin with the larger curved safety pins. Been getting them at Joann's with my 40% coupon until now I have a large container, enough to pin two queen quilts. They are very easy to open and close. I believe that some people hand baste the layers.(which I really admire)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

I used the curved safety pins because I have a health issue that prevents me from using the basting spray.  I mainly do twin size quilts so I have almost 800 pins. I hope someday to replace them with pinmoors (when my budget permits.) Nevertheless, I have heard nothing but good things about the 505 spray baste, as long as it is used sparingly, heat set with an iron, and applied in a well ventilated area. Meaning if I could use 505  instead of pins, I would.

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
Female
65 Posts
Points 1,295
Sherry replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:53 AM

I use adhesive due to arthritis in my hands.  I found using the safety pins too painful and would have ended my quilting.

Sherry

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Sorry I should have mentioned that if you are using safety pins (like me) than you definitely want to invest in a Kwik Klip to open and close the pins. Available at Joanns so you can use a 40% off coupon.

http://www.joann.com/kwik-klip/4490983.html

Saves a lot of wear and tear on your fingers.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

Thanks ladies! I will have to get cutting so I can baste my next project sooner rather than later! I like that Kwik Klip too Denise, thanks for mentioning it! I see it on Amazon for about the same price too. Might have to get one. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470

Denise, what are pinmoors? And what are kwik klips? I use pins to baste as the spray is so toxic and messy to me.      Thanks for the tips!  Susan

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Susan :

Denise, what are pinmoors? And what are kwik klips?

Pinmoors are used with a bent straight pin to prevent the pins from removing themselves from the quilt sandwich. They are faster to install, and much more importantly faster to remove as you are quilting along. They are also a lot easier on your fingers. Here is a video clip of how they work

http://www.pinmoor.com/

They are wonderful, but expensive if you need 800 like I would to do a twin size quilt. If you do a Google search for pinmoor alternatives you will find many threads of less expensive alternatives (such as pencil erasers and cut up foam core board, or caulk saver.) Just be aware that the substitutes are a lot cheaper, but have their drawbacks (such as not sticking to the pins reliably)

The kwik klip is a handled tool with grooves on the end that holds on to the curved safety pin. It really saves wear and tear on you fingers when you have to clip and unclip hundreds of pins.

Here is a video clip of the kwik klip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6MD1H62_R4

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 10:55 PM

I prefer safety pins.  But If you starch your center  after layering, the static from the starch/iron helps to keep things from shifting with your pins.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,543 Posts
Points 416,969
gini replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:34 PM

pinmoors are wonderful.  I can wall baste a quilt in no time with them

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
30 Posts
Points 720

I bought more safety pins so I'll be using those to baste my squares, I got some cutting done but I have a LOT of ironing and starching to get done tonight before i can cut more. :) I am so glad you've all shared your experiences with me, it means a lot to be able to come here and learn from you! :)

Not Ranked
Female
33 Posts
Points 230
Linny replied on Sun, Apr 27 2014 1:10 PM

Spray basting! SInce I've used this technique I haven't had anything shift. The back looks beautiful too.! I only pin around the edges.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,933 Posts
Points 125,230

I use the larger bent pins. I tried some that were made by Dritz (I think) but they were too heavy and a little more difficult to open and close.  I bought a package in the quilting section of Joann's which were more expensive, but thinner and open and close very easily . I used the 40% coupon to get them over time and now have several hundred.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 4 (50 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use