Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90
Linda48 Posted: Wed, Mar 12 2014 5:16 PM

I love to quilt but don't have room to do much more than lap/baby quilts, I had been quilting by hand up until a couple of years ago, my hands just don't work that good anymore, bought a Brother SE400 embroidery/sewing machine and have loved it since, used to think if it wasn't done by hand it wasn't a "real" quilt, but i've changed my mind on that one. I love to check out new ideas, and have been thinking of donating baby quilts to a good cause, they are easy and fast to make and gives me something to do.

Glad I decided to join today..live in North Florida so I quilt mostly during the colder months. Been a crazy winter this year.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 6:03 PM

Hi grannie welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 450
BarbC replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 5:25 AM

Welcome grannie.  I can understand quilting only in the colder months,  If spring ever comes to Maryland, it will be too hot and I'll be in the gardens too much to get a lot of quilting done.  Hmmm, maybe I should design a quilt to commemorate the tons of weeds I will be pulling. 

Barb

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,280

Welcome Grannie,

Where in N Florida are you?  I'm in the big bend, close to Tallahassee and I sew also in the summer, when it's to hot outside or the skeeters are to thick.  those pesky insects sit outside sharpening their sting while waiting for me to suck my blood.  

I'm hoping to find someone that can show me how to hand quilt using a large embroidery frame?  I can't take classes because of my allergies. 

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 290
Points 3,825

Welcome, grannie

I used to have the same opinion about quilts being hand done versus machine done.  Now I really appreciate the machine process - I get so much more done.  There is a wonderful group here in Denver that takes donations for babies and small children.  I have a great time designing and making quilts, clothes, bibs, etc. to be used for these small people.

Barbara

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 90
Linda48 replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 12:20 PM

Hi Marianne,

I live in Wakulla County, just south of Woodville, know about the skeeters, and sand gnats, and the ticks, they all love me. We have 2 1/2 acres been here for 43 yrs or so, love the quiet, we are on a dead end road so don't have to worry much about traffic.

I don't hand quilt anymore, my hands tend to fall asleep when I do, what is it that you need to know? When I quilted I used a 18" round frame, kind of big but you can do more quilting longer, I also have used a 12" hoop.

We are in for some cold tonite, we heat with only wood and I'm so tired of tending the fire, not crazy about summer but tired of the cold, can't take it like I used to could.

Linda

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,280

Linda,

Nice meeting you.  I live in Gadsden County, close to Havana on only one half acre.  We also have  a wood stove, but we only use it when we have a hard freeze.  I know all about getting up  several times at night to feed the stove.  We moved to here in 1975  This morning we got down to 33 degree.  Brrr!!!  But no skeeters :-)

I started to quilt last year at the "tender" age of 70. I should talk about breast cancer, because ever woman should know what I have learned the hard way. Radiation does not just destroyed cancer cells, it also destroys underlying tissues.  I learned that the hard way in 2012, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer again, second stage and the other side.  My DH suggested that I should have a mastectomy, because I had chosen treatment in 1996 and it was very hard on me.  The surgeon suggested a bilateral mastectomy, claiming that it would be easy.  He never said anything about previous radiation.    I had the mastectomy first, followed by infections, a whole body infection and two more surgeries, because the previous radiated site  didn't want to heal.   My left side isn't  proper healed yet and I was in a lot of discomfort when I watched a YouTube about quilting.  I tried it and while trying to match my corners I forgot about the pain on my chest.  It turned out to be great therapy for me.   I learned from a book how to pop the knots, but I haven't gotten the hang of using a quilting frame. I know to use a frame to embroider, but that's it.  I have purchased two round quilting frames and a square one made out of plastic pipes.  I have managed one stitch at a time, just like when embroidering, but that's it.

A funny thing happened last year when  I couldn't get my sewing machine to cooperate.  My DH wanted to try and after sitting  several days  trying my sewing machine I wanted to know if I could have it back?  Nope, he told me that it was now HIS sewing machine.  That was so funny.   We finally bought him his own sewing machine and I  have to admit that he's really good at sewing.  He made a king size quilt from a kit I bought from connecting thread.  All by himself and every corner matches.  We had that quilted at Nancy's embroidery heaven and our son owns it now.   We both worked on a second king  size  from a second kit I had purchased.  We both learned from the first kit that not all king size quilts are the same size.  We made the second quilt  larger, to fit our bed that has no head or foot boards and no side railings.  Living and learning.  We're saving up to have it quilted.

I can't take a class because I developed a severe allergy to man made chemicals after the bilateral mastectomy  and most folks use scents before they go out.  I actually have to wear an odor filter mask  when I go shopping, but it makes breathing hard.   

Marianne

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 10:05 AM

Hi Linda, welcome to the group!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,218
Points 16,395
Susan replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 3:48 PM

Welcome, Linda ! Where is Woodsville? I live west of Jacksonville in the small town of Macclenny. Im glad you decided to join us here. I like doing flannel baby quilts among other things. I have been quilting eor 4 years now and still consider myself a newbie. There is just so much to learn, you never get bored.

Marianne, Where is Gadsden county in relation to Jacksonvilles, Duval county ? Maybe all us Floridians can get together some day. I sew all year long, However,  I like to hide out more  in my sewing room in hot weather. We have a fireplace in our home and this winter we used more wood than ever before. Its been a cold wet winter and Im ready for SPRING as Im sure many others around the Country are, too.   Im sorry to hear of your having breast cancer but glad Quilting helped you through it . Sounds like you went through He^# and fought for your life. I admire your courage!!!  As for your DH taking up Quilting with you, Way To Go for both of you! My DH wants to learn how to use a long arm as he is retiring next year he is looking ahead for things to do.  He has and does some sewing even has his own machine so he can relate to yours.   Looking forward to chatting with you again.    Susan, North,Florida

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use