Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
o2bquiltcrazy Posted: Tue, Mar 11 2014 8:29 PM

Hi All,

I am new to quilting. I got the bug after making some quilted placemats. At any rate, I wanted to make a king size quilt and found a pattern for it that I really like.  The problem is that the pattern is for a 46" x 72" quilt.  Can any pattern be sized up by just increasing the rows and columns of the pattern?  Do you have to increase the measurement of the border to keep the overall pattern balanced? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 450
BarbC replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 8:46 PM

Hi - I am fairly new to quilting but the last quilt (just finished Friday) was a queen pattern that I increased to a king.  I think a lot depends on the pattern you are using.  I used a couple methods.  One was that I added sashing between the blocks, then I added one additional border and wider borders. (I will post a picture in a couple minutes) In previous quilts I have simply added blocks to increase the size.  Don't know if this helps but quilts are personal and there is really no wrong way to make something you love.

Barb

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Barb C you are certainly correct. It is YOUR quilt and you do what pleases you - whether that means adding extra borders or blocks to make it the size you want. I haven't been quilting for that long - and have made quilt tops according to a pattern and also quilt shops that I have designed and made up as I went along. I tend to like the ones that I thought out a whole lot better than someone else's pattern...even if that means starting out with a pattern and adding my own twist on it.

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Thank you so much for your quick and very helpful comments. I hadn't thought about an additional border. I think that would work with the pattern I'm using.  Did you send a picture? I would love to see it.

Kim

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Wow, I hope I get to the point where I can make up my own patterns.  I doubt it though, I still have to follow exactly a recipe even after years of cooking.  I've purchases the tools I need for making the quilt and have been many times to look at fabrics but have been hesitant to actually buy it. You have inspired a can do attitude.

Kim

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.