Top 10 Posters

What's the best sewing machine for quilting that's under $300

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 215
Tiffany posted on Tue, Mar 11 2014 4:11 AM

I bought my first sewing machine, a Singer Brilliance, last summer. I fell in love. I didn't know what to look for. It was basically an impulse buy. I love my machine but it doesn't have automatic needle down feature and it will not let me drop the feed dogs. Since quilting is what I love to do (and basically the only thing I've tried), I NEED these features. I only have $300 to spend on a machine. Right now I'm thinking Singer Professional 9100 or the Singer Confidence Quilter. I am open to any and all advice. Please help

• | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
211 Posts
Points 3,375

I agree with what is being said about service and dealers. I also am an avid Singer user. I have 4 I like the machines but also the easy repair. However if I would give advice to my daughter or a close friend that was in the market for a machine it would be this. Go somewhere where you can try out the machine even if you don't buy it there. Take it for a test drive. A lot of owning a machine at whatever price is what about the machine makes you feel comfortable. you will only know that when you sew on it. I like a smooth running machine if you have ever used an old treadle or what they call mechanical (meaning non computerized) machines you will know they ran smooth even stitched. How hard is it to learn if it is computerized. There are a lot of good machines they have finally caught up and become designer machines. My next bit of advice is don't stress have an enjoyable time shopping around on line and else where.  The more you know the easier you can decide. One last bit of advice don't let the outside of the machine dazzle it doesn't do the sewing. They are just like cars make the head lights a different shape and some one will go crazy over them LOL they all light up the road. Sorry if this sounded  like you knew nothing not intended that way just some additional thoughts.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,649 Posts
Points 37,245

My only bit of advice is to buy from someone that you don't have travel many miles for parts or lessons.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
677 Posts
Points 10,580

I'm with Judy.  Going to your local dealer is the best bet and they have warranty as well as repair options locally when you purchase online you have all that shipping to worry about if something happens to the machine.  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use