Top 10 Posters

What's the best sewing machine for quilting that's under $300

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 215
Tiffany posted on Tue, Mar 11 2014 4:11 AM

I bought my first sewing machine, a Singer Brilliance, last summer. I fell in love. I didn't know what to look for. It was basically an impulse buy. I love my machine but it doesn't have automatic needle down feature and it will not let me drop the feed dogs. Since quilting is what I love to do (and basically the only thing I've tried), I NEED these features. I only have $300 to spend on a machine. Right now I'm thinking Singer Professional 9100 or the Singer Confidence Quilter. I am open to any and all advice. Please help

• | Post Points: 185

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 6:32 AM

try going to a sewing machine shop that has good used machines. you can get a great machine for a great price..

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Nice meeting you Tiffany,

my DH bought me a Singer Athena 200 in the seventies and it broke.  I was in love with that machine.  To replace it I bought the 7258 Stylist  Singer with the good house keeping  award, but the motor didn't want to sew over thick fur and ended up giving it to my daughter. After that I bought the Singer756 Confidence , but that one had no needle down position. and I gave that to my daughter in law.  I bought another Singer, The 9960 /quantum  and I still have that, but there isn't enough room to machine quilt a larger project.  I didn't buy the machines all in one day.  We're retired and on a fixed income.  I would have done much better to research the sewing machines and save up for a better machine to begin with.  I saved up and I bought myself a Janome Quilting machine.  I have seen a Brother quilting machine  for $600,- 

I would suggest that you keep what you have and put the needle down with the  hand wheel until you have saved up for a better machine.  I believe that they have the machine you're thinking about at Joann's fabric store.  To take a look and make sure that it has the needle up and down position.  I bought mine over the internet. 

I have also learned that all the  reasonable sewing machines are nowadays made in Asia and  they're not the same quality.  The Bernina aren't  Swiss made anymore and the Pfaff aren't manufactured in Germany and the Husqvarna aren't made in Europe, unless one spends $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..  

Marianne

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

U can see at : http://lenabuy.com/sewing-machine/

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 215
Jeri replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 8:01 AM

I bought a Brother SC9500 for $200 a year ago and have been very happy with it so far.  I'm just getting into quilting and it suits my needs now.  It has an automatic down needle position.  It came with a foot for free motion quilting and I can drop the feed dogs.  I did buy a walking foot attachment for it that really works well.  It has several decorative stitches too, but I haven't used those too much yet.  All in all it has worked well for me for the past year.  I purchased this from Hancock Fabrics.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Honestly I am not trying to be negative, but the Singer sewing machines got the worst reviews. After doing extensive research I finally settled on the Brother PC420. It has needle down, auto threader, auto tension, adjustable pressure setting, a knee lift bar, and 7.4" throat space. I routinely quilt twin size quilts on this machine. The auto tension works great for FMQ. It is $349 brand new with warranty including shipping at amazon. If you can get the extra $49 you will be able to get a lot more features and have a machine you will be happy with for years.

Here is a great detail review

http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Review/1/5260

Here is the purchase link at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC420PRW-294-Stitch-Professional-Computerized/dp/B000XE3FGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394545602&sr=8-1&keywords=brother+pc420+sewing+machine

Denise Smart

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 10:11 AM

I have a Singer 7470 and it does all that and more..I love it.  It the Singer Confidence.  Joann's has it, but we got mine online thru Overstock.com

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 450
BarbC replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 2:37 PM

Tiffany,  I am using a Janome Magnolia and can quilt up to a queen size.  Don't think I would try a king on it.  Cost was just a little under $300.  Has needle down and you can drop the feed dogs, though I don't bother even when free motion quilting.  I set my tension to zero and use a Supreme Slider over the feed dogs - gives a very good result without the tension problems.

Barb

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

I bought a refurbished Janome at a sewing Center last year for 300. It was originally 650.  I love it.

I also have a Janome 1000 that I have had for 10 years.  They are both great.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,313 Posts
Points 18,420

Hi Tiffany.   When I first started sewing and quilting 2 years ago I bought a Singer Quantum Stylist- 9960.  I have used it everyday and not had one problem with it!  It is $329 at Amazon and it has a bunch of presser feet that come with it and it has 600 stitches. I love it, for a low cost machine. You should check it out! 

http://www.amazon.com/9960-600-Stitch-Computerized-Extension-Accessories/dp/B004RDH7Y8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394581221&sr=8-1&keywords=Singer+9960

Good luck on your search. 

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

heavy duty Janome HD 1000  drop feed dogs 300$  on I  good  reviews but I never used

Top 500 Contributor
Female
281 Posts
Points 4,280

Tiffany,

You can go to Singer.com, they do make  a little plastic  plate to cover the feed dogs and you can turn the hand wheel to put the needle down, until you have saved up to get something better.

I love the pick up on Singer's feed dogs.  I have a Janome and It doesn't start as well  as my old Singer Athena 2000 did.  The Janome doesn't do well when turning to make sharp corners on the bias tape.  I either have to pull or I use an old piece of fabric  to start and jump over onto the bias tape.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
278 Posts
Points 4,550

I have Singer sewing machines and love them! Have had no problems sewing on Singers for 30 years. I'm not sure that you can accurately apply "blanket" negative reviews to the entire line. I have found that mine require less (costly) maintenance in comparison to the monies spent by friends who own the "pedigree" machines. My current go-to machine is now almost ten years old. I also have my mom's machine, from the 80's. Both still humming along!  

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,611 Posts
Points 119,380

Tiffany, my only advice is to buy from a dealer if possible. You get help learning to use the machine and they are there if the machine has problems. They usually have refurbished machines and can advise you on the best bang for your buck.

It's a tough decision, there are so many options. Good luck and let us know what you find and how you like it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,611 Posts
Points 119,380

Tiffany, I might add one other thing. For every person who says they love one brand, another will say it's a piece of junk.

When I bought my Viking Sapphire 830 a few years ago the reviews were awful.  I did have a one issue but the dealer stood behind it and got it running to my complete satisfaction.

A friend of mine bought a Brother at a big box store for under $200. She likes it fine. My neighbor bought the same machine and finally donated it to Goodwill because she said it was a piece of junk.

So, go figure. One person's gold is another person's coal.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use