Top 10 Posters

Kitchen counters, what do you have or like?

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,920
zoetc49 Posted: Sun, Mar 9 2014 11:41 PM

I live in a 33 year old home. It's a small duplex, and the area will not bring much once I decide to move- one day. All the homes are alike inside. Same kitchen counters, etc. I have been looking at getting a new kitchen counter mainly because this Formica one has a few cuts and scratches on it, really it has held up great for the home being this old. I even have the original stove-, and it still works great.

I have looked at more Formica since my realtor told me I will not get the money out of my home if I got with something nicer. I have looked at Granet, quarts, Formica and like many things about eat of them. I also saw a nice home on the market today with tile done for the counter- it looked nice.

So where I am right now is tile would be nice, but the upkeep is a concern. It does not cost too much to install. $700.

Formika cost is low and no upkeep, but it can also seem dated ( I did find one that looks like stone though)- I like that. about $700

Silstone cost a lot  can chip, looks nice $ 1700.00

Quarts looks nice, looks nice, can chip, cost $ 1800.0

So please give me your thoughts. Thanks 

• | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,225
Points 16,475
Susan replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 5:28 AM

Zoe, I know several people who have 300,000 thousand - homes and went with formica . My friend had her home built in same price range and used them (dark tones) and people asked her if they were granite. I have them in my own home and like them a lot . My other friends have granite and there is a lot of up keep to them , sealing every three months, etc. If you are not going to recoup your investment when selling I would stick with the most inexpensive. My MIL had tile and it was a pain in the neck to care for. Hope this helps and good luck !         Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 5:47 AM

Zoetc49, We just redid our large eat-in kitchen last year and used Corian from Dupont.  We love the fact that the color is all through the counter, it looks like stone or granite, doesn't have the oil absorbing problems of the real stone but it can scratch.  I would tell you the cost but our kitchen is very large and I don't think it would help you.  We chose two colors, one for the counter and one for the island, called Matterhorn and Sahara. Both hide a multitude of sins.  You can go to their site and look around if you want, www.corian.com   Good luck with your decision.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 135
Karen D replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 6:39 AM

I have had both Formica and Corian, and given the choice I will not get either again. Both Corian and Formica scratch too easily. I have been doing some research on this and when we replace the counter tops, we will get Quartz (Silestone).  Quartz requires NO maintenance and has the shine of granite and will not burn.  If you decide to sell, remember Kitchens and  Baths sell homes.  More important, you are living there, get what you want and will enjoy.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,530
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 8:54 AM

I put granite in my last house and also in this one.  I will always use granite.  If cost is an issue, try going to a granite place and check out their boneyard.  You can get pieces big enough for what you need at a reduced cost.  It's worth a try.

Diana in East TN

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,920
zoetc49 replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 11:32 AM

Silstone is what I have look into a lot, but I am still considering Formica in a stone look. My home I have now has this and in the 33 years there are only 4 cuts on it, which I feel is pretty darn good. Thank you for the information on the tile, I don't want anything I have to keep up with. I looked through a ton of pictures last night and found a ton other of things that people are using. I am leaning now toward using Formica due to upkeep, cost and know that I cannot get the value out of my home due to my area.    

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 450
BarbC replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 11:52 AM

Hello Zoe, I live in a 1968 house and we replaced our kitchen counters last year.  The product we chose was Hanex.  It is an acrylic solid surface that installs beautifully with the look of high end products at much less expense than the granites and quartz.  The upkeep only requires a little windex or a quick wipedown.    I would never put tile on a kitchen counter.  As for resale value, keep in mind that people really do rely on first looks so if you can get a high end, classic look at a reasonable price, it will help in the future if you decide to sale.

Barb

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 3:19 PM

Zoe,  I have had formica and hated it.  I love my ceramic tile because it will take a beating.  My sister has corian and my brother granite and both say you have to be very careful and granite takes a lot of upkeep.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 3:40 PM

I have granite and it takes no more upkeep than any other counter.  I wax it once or twice a year,  other than that it is wipe and go.   I had white tile and grout in one house and hated the grout.   I put dark stone and grout in this house and it is a breeze to clean.  I like Formica, I have that on some counters here, not in the kitchen, it scorches, but if you're careful they have wonderful colors.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 909
Points 17,205

After much thought for a couple weeks about whether to update my kitchen or buy a new embroidery machine, I decided on the kitchen. I went to Home Depot today, as advised by my contractor, and ordered granite. I am so excited! New countertop, backsplash, and floor. Cabinets and appliances will remain as they are. Here's a sample of the granite. It's not from the actual slab that will be used but it's the colors I'm getting. My cabinets are a light oak and the appliances are black.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, Mar 10 2014 10:17 PM

Beautiful colors, carol

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,920
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 12:05 AM

gini, 

Where do you have the dark stone and grout? 

I love the look of the silestone, I think it's the patterns of the quarts that I love ...I may give in. It's not an issue for me to put anything hot on my counter as i never do that anyways. I have been up hours looking at the Formica, I found one that would work, I am just not sure.   

Carol, I love your color choice, it's going to look so good. I can't wait to see before and after pictures....please : )  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 1:34 AM

It's in the bathroom.  It's a dark slate with dark grey grout, never looks dirty or gets stained

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 215
Jeri replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 8:22 AM

I have granite countertops and have had them for about five years.  We replaced old, cracked formica.  There has been very little upkeep and it is really nice having a solid surface counter.  I have not had to reseal them and was told to check periodically to see if the counter absorbs water, which would mean it needs to be sealed, but so far I haven't had to.  I can take a pot off the stove or a casserole out of the oven and set it directly on the counter to cool, which is very handy.  My parents had a home with tile countertops and replaced them because the grout was very difficult to keep clean and tended to look "grungy."  My sister-in-law put in a new formica counter that was supposed to be like granite and while you can tell it isn't granite, it does look very nice.  It is something I would consider if my budget didn't allow for a solid surface counter.  Hope that helps.  Have fun redoing your kitchen!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 694
Points 11,920
zoetc49 replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:42 AM

Thank you Jeri and everyone for all the wonderful responses. I have decided for sure not to do tile, I will go look around some more and ask as many questions as I can think to ask. I will let you all know what I go with when I make up my mind.  

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use