Home Alert, Health Alert and other alike systems

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 600
Points 10,405
zoetc49 Posted: Sun, Mar 9 2014 11:29 PM

I have been looking at these for an elderly neighbor. I want to tell you all what I think of these. I think they are a rip off. I have gotten so many calls for me to call back telling me it is very important that I return the phone calls. They are liars telling me that 300 feet- not yards is the same as 3 football fields for the range. The systems have a monthly cost of between $40-$60 dollars a month. 

What I have learned is that there are some wonderful call phones out there made for the elderly. Some have several direct calling by one push, and some if not most of these phones have an emergency push button that can be pushed from anywhere. I am suggesting to my neighbor to go with this as the range is not limited, and he can put it on with AT&T as a yearly prepaid so it will only cost him $100 for the phone, and $100.00 for prepaid phone for a year, unless he goes past these minutes.    

I just wanted to pass on what I learned. I hope this will help others considering or needing something like this for themselves or others. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Mar 16 2014 5:51 AM

there are several "life line" type companies.  The only one I have had experience with is life line.  It has saved the life of a couple of patients.  One important thing is they can be worn in the shower, a common place for accidents. 

My mother and her neighbor developed their own system.   The wall was thin between their apts.  If one heard a loud crash or something fall in the other apt, she would wait to hear running water, which was their signal that all was OK.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 600
Points 10,405
zoetc49 replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 7:47 PM

Patti, you made a great point and one I did not think of. Thank you.  I will pass on this to the family who are looking into things for their dad. 

My brother died in the restroom when he was 53 from a HA, he was found laying on the bathroom floor. He would have been too young to think of a unit like this. I wish all the time that I had told him how bad he looked when I last saw him, he might still be alive.    

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use