Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 506
Points 10,015
Judi Posted: Fri, Mar 7 2014 11:48 PM

Although you rarely gather fabric quilting, sometimes you want a ruffle around your quilt or pillow.

i learned that the worst thing when gathering is a broken thread.  I learned to zig zag over a length of dental floss!  Just make sure your zigs and zag don't go into the floss.  I set my zig zag at about a 3 width and a middle to long stitch length.  Pull out the floss as you go seems to be easiest.  When you gather, it slides easily and doesn't break! 

I also mark my fabric in half and quarters before I sew and gather so I get it evenly gathered.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 115
Bev replied on Sat, Mar 8 2014 12:27 AM

What a great suggestion!   I will definitely try that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 281
Points 4,280

Judi, thank you for this great tip.  I will try it for a pillow I made.

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 4:46 AM

this is a great tip.  It will make it so much easier to get a good gather.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 245

Thank you for the tip. As a newbie every tip helps. I will definitely keep it in mind and try. I would never think dental floss could be used . Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 8:17 AM

This is a great tip.  Thanks

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,205
Points 16,165
Susan replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 10:14 PM

Nana, So glad to see you on here it seems like its been forever and I have missed you!!!  

Judi, thanks for the tip! I am about to put a ruffle on a baby  quilt but have been procrastinating for that reason. I will try it now.                  Susan

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Great tip, I just did a ruffle on a large mug rug, but I just basted using two seams about 1/8 in . apart.   That way if one thread breaks, I have another one to continue to gather. But maybe your way I wouldn't need two basted seams, I will try this, Thank you so much!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 12:09 AM

the zig zag over threads is a great way to make long ruffles. but if you do make a lot or ever need to decorate with pleats, y'all might want to indulge yourself with the ruffle attachment foot. may I just say quicker than anything ever. no worry about breaking threads or pulling even it is all done automatic. here is a video on what these monsters look like and how they work. I have been using them since around 1962. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc3gJS9nQY

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use