Top 10 Posters

Gammill Premier Plus or Tin Lizzie 18 - Is one better than the other?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85
Stephanie posted on Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:54 PM

My daughter and I are looking to go in together to buy a used long arm machine and have two systems we are interested in.  One is actually described as a new top of the line 18" quilting machine of the Tin Lizzie brand (although the pictures of the machine do not have the Tin Lizzie logo on the arm) being sold by an online sewing machine business.  The other is a 2009 Gammill Home-Pro Premier Plus machine which is described as only having been used to quilt three quilts.  Both are similarly priced, so price isn't going to be the deciding factor.  We just want to be sure we make a good decision and buy a good quality machine, and I can't really find anything online that compares different makes/models, so not sure how they stack up against each other. 

I am more familiar with the Gammill name, and I tend to think perhaps Gammill is the better of the two.  But, thought I would post a question here to see if anyone might be able to provide any feedback.

I know there are a lot of variables and personal preferences that go into a decision like this.  Those things aside, though, I would really like to know if one brand has a better reputation than the other.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Sincerely,

Stephanie

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:59 PM
Verified by Stephanie

I go to shows every year and test drive all the machines.   I tried a tinlizzie out the other day.   The handles on the tin Lizzie's have a lot of vibration.   My hands would be numb in short order.   I have talked to people that love them, and the sales people assure me that it is because they are not set up permanently.   But I try any of the other machines set up temporarily at shows and they don't have nearly the vibration.  If you get a chance to test drive them pay attention to the vibration.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 55
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Verified by Stephanie

I have a Gammill... I love it.. It took me years before I decided to get this one, but I am glad I tried them all out. I found the Gammill a very solid machine with great support.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 100 Contributor
Female
713 Posts
Points 14,000

Stephanie, i've had a Gammill for a little over two years. I love the machine and the company's support is beyond great!  The machine itself is very well-made, with a solid steel, one-piece body. The parts are also well-made and quite durable. I got mine with the Statler system which I believe is the best computer operating system. So if you think you might want to add a computer to your machine, consider what is available for whichever one you choose. Also, consider the size. Get as much throat space that you can. Good luck and let us know what you finally decide on.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:59 PM
Verified by Stephanie

I go to shows every year and test drive all the machines.   I tried a tinlizzie out the other day.   The handles on the tin Lizzie's have a lot of vibration.   My hands would be numb in short order.   I have talked to people that love them, and the sales people assure me that it is because they are not set up permanently.   But I try any of the other machines set up temporarily at shows and they don't have nearly the vibration.  If you get a chance to test drive them pay attention to the vibration.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 55
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,568 Posts
Points 30,579
Verified by Stephanie

I have a Gammill... I love it.. It took me years before I decided to get this one, but I am glad I tried them all out. I found the Gammill a very solid machine with great support.

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

Thank you, Gini, for your response!  I appreciate your input and feedback to my question.  I will definitely keep the vibration issue in mind when we do a test drive.

Have a great evening!

Stephanie

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

Thank you, Gini, for your response!  I appreciate your input and feedback to my question.  I will definitely keep the vibration issue in mind when we do a test drive.

Have a great evening!

Stephanie

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

Thank you, Kelley!  I appreciate your response and feedback to my question.  The Gammill machines do look to be very solid and sturdy machines.  Also great to know they provide great support.

Have a great evening!

Stephanie

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
713 Posts
Points 14,000

Stephanie, i've had a Gammill for a little over two years. I love the machine and the company's support is beyond great!  The machine itself is very well-made, with a solid steel, one-piece body. The parts are also well-made and quite durable. I got mine with the Statler system which I believe is the best computer operating system. So if you think you might want to add a computer to your machine, consider what is available for whichever one you choose. Also, consider the size. Get as much throat space that you can. Good luck and let us know what you finally decide on.

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

Carol,

Thank you for your input and information.  I appreciate that you weighed in on my question.  We did ultimately end up deciding on the Gammill and picked it up yesterday.  We got it set it up last night and have been practicing with it today, and so far I can say that we are thrilled with our decision.  We can already tell we are going to have a lot of fun.

Thanks again, and have a great evening!

Stephanie

Top 100 Contributor
Female
713 Posts
Points 14,000

Congratulations, Stephanie! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Tue, Mar 11 2014 11:58 AM

congratulations on getting your new machine

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use